Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is the most dangerous thing that you have ever hunted, had any close calls?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is the most dangerous thing that you have ever hunted, had any close calls?

what is the most dangerous thing that you have ever hunted, had any close calls?

Had a 350# black bear 5 feet away eye to eye in a tree

Comment

Nothing "Dangerous" yet, have been "stalked by Mtn. Lion on a elk hunt once.

Comment

I once started to walk onto a bull elk that I had been watching "expire". He had fallen into a tree well and all that I could clearly see was one hind leg moving awkwardly and blowing hard through his lungs. Finally, he blew one last time and the leg dropped motionless. Or so I thought! As I got to within 30 ft. of him he abruptly stood up and threw his head down as if to charge. At that close of a distance my scope filled with elk, but I didn't figure now is the time to be choosy on shot placement. Fortunately, a lung shot put him down for keeps this time. I had to sit down for a few minutes after that one.

Comment

Never hunted Africa, never hunted big coastal bears in Alaska. I don't really consider Black Bears dangerous, although an average size blackie could rip you limb from limb. I have hunted feral hogs for years and I have had some encounters with large boars in a bad mood. The worst of which was a 400 pound plus fellow who I stumbled across in a corn field while he was tending a sow in heat. Let's say he didn't want to share and things got interesting for a moment or two...

Comment

i was once attacked by a weasel vicsus little thing but to say the least i won the battle

Comment

never had anything dangerous happen but I'll let you know when I live in alaska(just dreaming).

Comment

Have hunted the following dangerous animals many times, and once in a while had an exciting moment or two with each specie. Elephant, Cape Buffalo,, Alaskan Brown Bear, Lion, Black Rhino, Hippo, Crocodile, and Leopard. The closest call was being mauled badly by a leopard. Have posted some of these misadventures in the past , so won't bore others with repetition. If anyone has a special request by specie, I'll oblige.

Comment

Happy - I haven't seen anything on your hippo and croc hunts, but was offline for awhile (trout season, turkey season, Stanley Cup finals, work, yardwork, etc.). Are those stories posted anywhere - would love to hear about them. What is the meat like from African game?

For me, the most dangerous situation was with a bull elk that came back to life and started kicking and swinging its rack around while I was on one knee by it's head. I had even poked it in the eye a few minutes beforehand. Glad that I still had the loaded rifle at hand.

Comment

MLH,

I can't think of any African antelope that is not outstanding. My favorite is eland. No one seems to eat waterbuck or zebra. Elephant tastes like elephant. but the locals like it, a lot of meat for free. The cheeks are ok. Hippo is not that good, but again a lot of meat at the right price. Buffalo is good, but like beef, if it is an old timer it can be tough. The tail makes great oxtail soup, young or old. Marrow bones from hartebeast are fabulous, crack them open and spread the marrow on toast! Surprisingly, leopard back strap is great, but in most areas the cooks will refuse to prepare it. Superstition, I believe Gerenuk is out of this world.

Comment

Thanks, Happy - hoping to someday get the chance to sample the game over there. Someone else told me that the meat from big cats is pretty darn good.

Comment

I've had two dangerous animal encounters. I once stood down a charge from very large, angry, boar, red squirrel! Three shots from my Marlin Model 60 .22 settled the issue. I know it doesnt sound scary, but you guys didnt see the look in that squirrels' eyes! He was out for nuts! My other encounter was with a large Rio Grande Tom I had just deposited a load of #4 shot into its head. When I walked up to it he was laying stone dead. When my grandpa walked up a few minutes later (he was doing the calling) the turkey went crazy! I had to practically stand on top of it to keep it under control!

Comment

My second wife was pretty scary!!

Comment

Love hunting whitetail and coyotes.

Most dangerous was teaching neighbor to shoot only to find out she was an anti-hunter.

Comment

DEER , KNOW CLOSE CALLS.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad