Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats the best rifle for antelope hunting? Also whats the best for mountain goat hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the best rifle for antelope hunting? Also whats the best for mountain goat hunting?

Whats the best rifle for antelope hunting? Also whats the best for mountain goat hunting?

I would choose a good bolt gun like my Kimber Mdl 8400 classic in 25-06. for both. The ultimate long range gun for 'lopes & goats would likely be a 257 Weatherby in a long barreled bolt action.

Comment

257 Weatherby cost to damn much for ammo, go with the 25-06 you will not know the difference of the 100 to 150 fps half the velocity of my bow!

Comment

Dont overlook the .264 Win Mag. The 25/06 would be an awesome choice though.

Comment

I've had great luck with my 7mm Mag, it shoot straight and performs well in high winds which is pretty frequent when shooting prong horns. I bought a savage and i think it was under $400 new. Good Luck

Comment

Goats/lopes' neither are "hard" to kill. Del is right though I'd use a bolt gun. I'd start in the .250 Savage range for the lopes'(shot mine with a .300 Win. Mag)/(New rifle, and wanted to give it a work out. Yes I know it was a little more than needed).
            Never shot a goat though.
            Mr. O' Conner(Jack) would say .270 is all you'll need for both.

Comment

ole reliable 30-06,150-180gr

Comment

The .240 weatherby would also foot the bill too.

Comment

I'll take the 25/06 with a good bullet on both. In a good bolt gun it turn out exceptional accuracy and in a rig with a 24 inch barrel it will only be about 100 fps or so behind the .257 Weatherby. My favorite load for the 25/06 is the 110 grain Nosler Accubond on top of 59.0 grains of Retumbo in a Winchester Case and Winchester large rifle primer.

Comment

for antelope i would say hands down the 25-06, and for mountain goat i would like a 300 win mag, or a 30-06

Comment

It's not so much the gun but the person behind it. Knowing where the bullet will hit at specific ranges is more important than the caliber.

Comment

I shot a Mouflon sheep in Spain last April using a Savage 100 bolt action.308 cal at 375 yards, using Winchester sp2 loads. The nine year old full curl ram fell to his knees without taking another step.
                        The gun cost me $300 new and the Nikon scope cost me $325 new. So this inexpensive combo can go on any safari or in the back yard. It was the talk of the camp. I was out shooting all the guys that spend thousands. HA! in your face bank account!

Comment

6.5 Grendel would be my 1st choice. 6.8 Rem SPC would be my 2nd, 270 Win would be my 3rd. Accuracy, light recoil, and reasonable wind drift would be my qualifiers.

Comment

Though not widely chambered, the .260rem would be a peach for antelopes and goats. any of the .25 or .26s would do well.

Comment

When we first moved to Wyoming from S Texas in 1989;
                              My son took Hunter Safety course Here & hunted Pronghorn ; Elk ; & Muley deer with my custom 3006 '03 Springfield . ( The rifle with Leupold Scope & long bbl weighs about 8.75 lb)_ too heavy for me now. HE had success almost each autumn shooting Hornady Light Mag 150 gr on Muley & Pronghorn.
                              He took elk 3 seasons with same rifle & Hornady Light Mag 180 gr.

Now we will use a New Weatherby Vanguard 270 composite stock.

The wind lots of the time here is like being on plains of western Kansas where I grew up.

25-06; 6.5_06 mm Ackley ; 270 win 280 Rem Ackley;
                              30/06 are all good choices in the hands of a conservative hunter familiar WITH HIS RIFLE.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad