Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello, I'm looking for a new scope for mule deer and elk. I will be hunting in everything from thick timber to open country. I w

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello, I'm looking for a new scope for mule deer and elk. I will be hunting in everything from thick timber to open country. I w

Hello, I'm looking for a new scope for mule deer and elk. I will be hunting in everything from thick timber to open country. I was thinking along the lines of a 2x7 or 3x9. Any thoughts or are they pretty close to the same thing? Thanks

Which cartridge are you shooting?

Comment

good question clay. you can't go wrong with a 3-9X40.

Comment

Leupold VX II's are a very goodscope at a reasonable price and are available in both power ranges. The 2x7 is a slightly shorter tube with a 33 mm diameter reticle. The 3x9 is slightly longer with a 40 mm reticle. Theoretically the 40 mm should catch more light in dark situations, but most folks wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Comment

I'm with Beeekeeper here. Leupold 3x9 40mm should be everything you need in a scope.
          That is a good responce though Mr. Cooper, +1 for you !

Comment

I love my 3x9 Nikon prostaff (probably will get some heat for this) better than my Leupold. Not to mention its cheaper and has the same warranty. I had a 2x7, it just didn't get it done for me.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas. It will be mounted on a 30-06.

Comment

Always err on the side of the short shots. You can take any reasonable shot up at 7x, but it's harder to make quick, close, snapshots at 3x. At 2x you can almost keep both eyes open. Target acquisition and aiming quickly are much easier at 2x or under.

Comment

Shane is absolutely right. I hunted all over Alaska with a 350 rem mag and Leupold VXIII 1 3/4-5X scope and never had a problem hitting out to 300 yds. The kill zone on just about any big game is pie plate size or bigger. You don't need lots of magnification in timber. With a high mag scope if you get a close shot you will only see fur. That happened to me in Georgia deer hunting once.

Comment

i have (2) 2-7 compact scopes a burris and Leupold and they are just the ticket for quick close shooting as Shane stated . any of my other rifles that i normaly wouldent carry still hunting or tracking in thick cover have 3-9's on them

Comment

Leupold VX II's
                      After 4 years 86-90 in Alaska owning two and witnessing hundreds of Leupold VX II's put through brutal punishment from recoiling rifles to carrying on ATV’s and handling the arctic environment to include everything you can imagine, the Leupold VX II's is my top pick! The two I have are still going strong. One in mounted on a 30-06 and the other on a 338 Win Mag

Bottom line

You pretty much get what you pay for and sometimes you wished you spent the extra buck rather than missing that BUCK!

Comment

Whiskeyjack,

How did you come up with your name?

Oh, get a fixed 4x.

Comment

Call sign from Marine Corps days. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Leupold VXII in 3-9 40mm. best all around scope in my opinion.

Comment

I had a 3-9 x 40 Bushnell on my last rifle. It was on a Remington 760 .270 win. It would not stay sighted in. This last Christmas I bought a new Tikka T3 270 and hesitantly put a Leupold FX II 4 x 33. I love the set up. I got it sighted in a couple weeks ago and it hasen't moved a bit. I can easily shoot 200 yards (that is the farthest target at the range I go to) and I think I could go a little further maybe 250 or 300. Depending on your eyes and how far you are confident shooting I would highly recommend this scope.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Rest Easy
                                by FirstBubba
                                "... I took your advice and blocked the slimy nine and the red rodent, ..."

Welcome! It's pretty sad to rant and rave on a blog...
                                Today, 04:39 PM
                              • Rest Easy
                                by jhjimbo
                                Rest easy 2nd amendment, you are safe now - for the time being....
                                Yesterday, 08:55 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by 99explorer
                                Even if the Democrats take the White House and the Senate, it will still take 60 Senate votes to kill the filibuster, because of the filibuster!
                                Today, 03:02 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by jhjimbo
                                They know IF Trump wins and holds the Senate and picks up some down ticket it will mean the end of the Dem party for at least ten years if not more....
                                Today, 02:39 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                I am most pleased with the Barrett confirmation, now we only need to see the fallout from the D’s. With the reelection of Trump, probably not too much...
                                Today, 01:18 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X