Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any recommendations for a nice .45-70 rifle. I was looking at the Marlin 1895 guide gun, the Henry .45-70 lever action and the W

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any recommendations for a nice .45-70 rifle. I was looking at the Marlin 1895 guide gun, the Henry .45-70 lever action and the W

Any recommendations for a nice .45-70 rifle. I was looking at the Marlin 1895 guide gun, the Henry .45-70 lever action and the Winchester 1895 falling block. I plan on using this for all around big game hunting. I live in Michigan so Bear, Deer and Elk. Thoughts?

Hey GrassBass11! Glad to see another Michigander on the site!!

I like the Marlin a bit better than the Henry, but that is a preference thing.

The only other rile I can think of off the top of my head in .45-70 is the Ruger Model 1 which also has a spot in my heart. Although if you're in the UP and you get on some big black bear boar, you might want that lever action in case you need to put lead down range in a hurry, if you get my drift.

It's definitely massive enough, but I like my rounds a little flatter( read as faster) but again that's a preference thing. It's not like you're going to be actually shooting 70 grains of black powder with this. .450 Marlin is a modern equivalent. Still you'd be fine for anything you'd run into, and chances are in the thick forests you're not going to get a shot that's pushing the range of the cartridge. Have Fun!

Comment

I had the Marlin in .444 and also .450 Marlin. The latter was awesome. Put a peep sight on it and used the Hornady Leverevolution ammo. The .444 at the time did not have the bullet selection.
      Either the 45/70 or .450 Marlin would be fine and both are real easy to reload - although, you usually only need one shot per season LOL.

Comment

I have a Marlin guide gun in 45-70. I love it. There are quite a few customization options and they are pretty accurate.

Comment

My hunting buddy has a guide gun in 450 Marlin. It is really nice gun. If I was going to buy a 45-70 it would be a Marlin guide gun.

Comment

I have two Club members that have Marlins Guide Guns One in 450M and one in 45/70...They DO make a HOLE...O

Comment

If I wanted a "big bore" lever gun, without a doubt it would be a Marlin!

Comment

I like the Browning BLR in the 450 Marlin.

Comment

I would much rather have the 1895 classic with its longer barrel and better sights.

Comment

I have a Marlin 45-70 1895 in S.S., and I love it, I re-load for it and it is my favorite rifle to shoot, but you have to have no issues with recoil if you fire the big heavy loads from some of the premium ammo companies.I have added a big loop lever for gloved hands and a Skinner peep sight, which is wonderful.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad