Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what are the best 7mm rem mag bullets for elk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what are the best 7mm rem mag bullets for elk?

what are the best 7mm rem mag bullets for elk?

For the 7mm Rem Mag, I would go with the 150 or 160 grain Nosler Partition. I’ve found 175’s are too heavy and don’t have the punch and the range as the 160.

Comment

I'd say a good 160 gr. is your best bet. Take your pick...whatever shoots well in your gun.

Comment

i shoot a MK1 ruger with 24 inch barrel 7mm rem mag. it just loves the new Federal Fusion in 175 gr. best of all its a great deal $ wise.

Comment

I'm with Clay. If you or your rifle don't like Partitions, try 160 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw or Barnes Triple Shocks. A 175 grain bullet is too heavy to get good velocity. A good .30-06 180 grain load is better than a 7mm Rem Mag 175 gr.

I have heard mixed reviews on Fusion loads. My son's rifle does not shoot them very well.

Comment

My son and I have been shooting 160 grain Speer Mag-Tips in our 7 mags for whitetails and were told by a neighbor with elk experience that they would be much better for elk, that we would be better suited with something along the line of a 150 grain ballistic tip.

Comment

I agree WAmtnhuntr, have heard of many who were not impressed with the Fusion line. Haven't tried them personally.

Comment

For years I used 160 Partitions with good effect although an occassional followup shot was necessary to expedite the finalization of the matter. More recently I have switched to Berger 168 gr VLD bullets for several 7 mm rifles. They are very accurate and offer excellent one shot stop performance at long ranges. I cannot speak of their effect concerning close shots as the situatioon has not presented itself. In the 500 + yard range the elk or deer has always just taken the bullet in the boiler and usually sits down and rolls over. So far every bullet has passed completely through the animal so I don't have any recovered bullets to show you. Exit wounds are not considerably larger than entry so that tells us something. Sometimes the Partitions could be located in the hide on the offside of entry. In reality I would be happy with almost any of the preminum projectiles and probably most of the so called standard bullets on deer or elk from a 7 mm. Even better is a .338 of any type.

Comment

I should add don't use fragile bullets like Nosler Ballistic Tips and others in that grouping since they tend to come apart well in advance of when adequate penetration is required.

Comment

I shot my first Antelope at 400yds with Winchester Supreme 7MM Mag 160 Grain Accubond, I know you said you try to steer clear of rounds like this, but i have never had a issue. I split a bowling ball in half with 2 shots from 100yrds.

Comment

I'm just a bit reluctant on the ballistic tips in the 7 mag. We got to talk to Bob Faulkrod a few years back and he said he used them in a .300 Win Mag on large game with good results, he thought maybe Nosler had toughened up the jacket a bit. I've used them with good results in a 10" T/C .30 Herret but then that's a lot slower too. Back to the 7, I'm not really sure what I'll go to, if anything, at this point. So long as I do my part, the mag-tips do theirs.

Comment

I handload 160 gr Speer Mag Tips for my son's 7 mm Rem Mag for practice in place of the pricey Federal TBBC. I picked that bullet due to it's similar shape and B.C. to the TBBC. The load I have shoots to the same POI as the Federal load (+/- an inch).

Year before last, he got the Mag Tips and factory TBBC mixed up and took a fine 6x6 bull and a big bodied mule deer with the Mag Tips. We were so pleased with the performance of the TBBC on those two animals that we were shocked when I discovered the mix-up! Mag-Tips might be a good non-Krugerrand bulet!

Comment

My old Interarms shoots them well and according to John Wooters years ago, 160 grains is the optimal weight for the 7 mag, so I will probably stay with the mag tips.

Comment

I'd suggest a 160 grain Nosler Partition or accubond, ,but I have had unbelievable results with the 168 grain Berger VLD in my 7mm Mag. The only problem with them is they are a little harder to work a load up for, But once you find one, man do they shoot!!! Steer clear of Sierra GameKings

Comment

I do not know about elk, but stay away from the Winchester silver ballastic tip at short ranges (within 100 yards.) These bullets come apart too much at that high speed and completely ruined the entry shoulder, and most of the opposite side shoulder (I have changed from rib shots to high shoulder shots for longer ranges, and it is just habit to aim high shoulder even when closer.) Though they are accurate out of my Bar 7mm rem mag, usually under 1" MOA at the range, they just tear up too much meat unless shooting over 150 yds.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Rest Easy
                                by FirstBubba
                                jimbo don't like me. LOL! 😉! I caught him and called his hand....
                                Today, 07:26 PM
                              • Rest Easy
                                by jhjimbo
                                Rest easy 2nd amendment, you are safe now - for the time being....
                                Yesterday, 08:55 PM
                              • Reply to More on crawfishin' lightfoot lindsey grahm
                                by FirstBubba
                                Talk about caught twixt a rock and a hard spot!
                                Never did like Graham. He just looks cheesy to me.

Did appreciate what Graham did for...
                                Today, 07:18 PM
                              • More on crawfishin' lightfoot lindsey grahm
                                by crm3006
                                Wow: Lindsey Graham Refuses to Issue Big Tech Subpoenas

Un-be-lievable.

Lindsey Graham swore up and down that he would
                                Today, 05:22 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by jhjimbo
                                I have blocked several that do not post anything worth reading, off topic wrong information, or pivoting on a thread.
                                The site is much more enjoyable...
                                Today, 07:02 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X