Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is the most unsafe thing you have seen someone do while hunting? I have had guns pointed at me but other than that not much

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probably thousands of people die from heart attacks every year behind the wheel of a vehicle (which would not be surprising considering how much time we spend driving). But that doesn't stop us from getting in the driver's seat.

I DO NOT advocate that just anyone should take to suddenly hunting alone. I started it as a kid in close proximity to my home in areas that were easily accessible in case someone needed to come looking for me. Worked my up (or rather out) from there. After a few decades one learns where his limits are and more than a few things about planning for the unexpected. I am very free about sharing that knowledge because 1) I believe the spiritual benefits of hunting alone far outweigh the possible dangers and 2) I don't want someone else learning from experience the same mistakes I have made. They likely wouldn't survive. My survival has been due to "skill" for sure. But also in a much larger part due to luck and/or divine intervention. The next guy can't count on that.

Comment

In many years of conservation enforcement I have witnessed MANY dangerous situations but the worst one that immediately comes to mind was the time I walked up to check on a man sitting in the drivers seat in a parked car. When I looked through the car window, I saw he was slumped over asleep. Then I noticed that his rifle was beside him with the muzzle tucked under his chin. Then to my absolute horror I saw that his finger was through the trigger guard and on the trigger. I stepped back and signaled for my LE partner to come over for a conference at the back of the car. Fortunately for him, he partially woke up when he heard our voices and somehow removed his finger (wearing gloves, no less) without pulling the trigger. He pushed the gun aside and fell back asleep before I could return to the window. He could not understand why we wrote him a ticket for the loaded gun in the car!!!!

Comment

Stupidest thing I have seen is people grabbing loaded weapons with way to much "warming" alchol in them.

Comment

I've seen several people look down the barrel of a loaded gun

Comment

A friend cut open his hand in the middle of a hike trying to start a fire. Don't cut toward yourself...

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Bad news on the COVID-19 front
              by labrador12
              Yeah, Trump's crazy. The Democrats break every law known to man and Trump becomes upset by it. Trump is the bad guy. In a rational world Democrats would...
              Today, 07:25 PM
            • Bad news on the COVID-19 front
              by Ontario Honker Hunter
              New cases and hospitalizations ballooned this week in several states including Texas, Oklahoma, California, and Mississippi. Hospitals in Houston are...
              06-24-2020, 08:09 PM
              by 99explorer
              Seriously, Trump wants to have Biden arrested, along with Hillary and Obama.
              Attorney General Bill Barr is stalling for time, telling Trump that
              Today, 07:17 PM
              by crm3006
              From the deranged bandicoot: "These rallies are doing him more harm than good."

Today, 06:47 PM
            • Reply to Trump
              by 99explorer
              Danbo -
              Please wear a K95 face mask.
              They make the mask wearers stand behind the president so they will appear on camera.
              You will be
              Today, 06:32 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X