Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is the most unsafe thing you have seen someone do while hunting? I have had guns pointed at me but other than that not much

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is the most unsafe thing you have seen someone do while hunting? I have had guns pointed at me but other than that not much

what is the most unsafe thing you have seen someone do while hunting? I have had guns pointed at me but other than that not much. I usually hunt alone, though.

Ah once seen an attorney put hi dawg in his just-acquired airboat that didn't have a guard in front of the propeller..

Ah didn't believe he wuz very smort ennyway and he proved it at his dawg's expense.

Comment

Years ago I took a friend from college deer hunting on the ridge in back of our barn. I'd never hunted with him before but he talked about previous hunting he'd done with his family.

We were headed out of the woods at about 2pm to grab a sandwich and head to some bottom land I wanted to hunt that night. I stopped at the edge of the field in back of the house and unloaded. I heard (key word) him do the same. As I took about three steps towards the house the blast and pressure wave of a 30'06 seemed almost knock me over ( and I think I almost had a heart attack). Apparently my friend had decided to dry fire his rifle. He'd removed the rifle clip and forgotten the round in the chamber.

Lessons learned- 1. Three feet down range of a rifle is no place to be. I don't even want to know where the round went. 2. If you're hunting with someone you haven't hunted with before, always watch their gun handling and safety as closely as you watch your own.

Comment

Years ago I took a friend from college deer hunting on the ridge in back of our barn. I'd never hunted with him before but he talked about previous hunting he'd done with his family.

We were headed out of the woods at about 2pm to grab a sandwich and head to some bottom land I wanted to hunt that night. I stopped at the edge of the field in back of the house and unloaded. I heard (key word) him do the same. As I took about three steps towards the house the blast and pressure wave of a 30'06 seemed almost knock me over ( and I think I almost had a heart attack). Apparently my friend had decided to dry fire his rifle. He'd removed the rifle clip and forgotten the round in the chamber.

Lessons learned- 1. Three feet down range of a rifle is no place to be. I don't even want to know where the round went. 2. If you're hunting with someone you haven't hunted with before, always watch their gun handling and safety as closely as you watch your own.

Comment

I had a bullet hit a tree branch above my head.
          Had a guy with a plugged barrel fire his shotgun at the end of the hunt. He now has one 18".
          Had a friend borrow a 12ga from me and 16ga shells from someone else.
          At end of legal hunting hours we heard constant firing of big caliber gun. When a guy walked out we asked what he saw. Nothing, he did not know how to unload his 7mmMag.
          Saw a guy on a range off to the side of the target calling back the position of the hits.
          These people swim at the shallow end of the gene pool and are self-eliminating.

Comment

hunting alone

Comment

Tough question... I've seen a LOT! For many years, it was my [email protected]# brother-in-law knocking me out and cutting the hair above my left ear right down to my skull with both barrels of a 12 gauge. This year seems to take the cake though.

My brother was riding shotgun when he spotted a herd of antelope way out there. They pulled broadside to take a look. While my brother was checking them out through the truck window with the scope on his rifle, a newbie Rambo in the back seat thought he was shooting; so he figured he would take a quick pot shot himself. He fired from the driver's side of the back seat, out the rear passenger side window. The muzzle brake on his .338 Lapua wasn't even out the window and was about 18 inches from my brother's head. The muzzle blast blew my brother against the windshield, blew his hat off, bent his rifle scope and worst of all blew out his right ear drum. He is now deaf in that ear. Fortunately, he survived.

Sometimes, people at the shallow end eliminate others too.

Comment

Drunks with guns the first week of hunting season. Had a confrontation of the worst kind with some belligerent arsehole who was so smashed he didn't know what planet he was on. Thought we were going to have to shoot him. After that I stayed away from the woods the first two weeks of big game season. Stuck to hunting geese instead.

Comment

I get to watch a guy I hunt with climb up and into ancient wooden treestands on public ground. The one time his foot went through the floor. His comment was "Better sit on the edge."
                  When he called me a wuss for not doing it I told him someone has to be there to show the rescue folks to the victim. Pretty sure we'll be packing him out one of these days.

Comment

I ordinarily hunt alone too. And I admit it makes me a bit nervous when I'm hunting with someone else. They could be the safest person in the world too. But I am not used to hunting with others and I feel that automatically makes me something of a safety risk. Not intentionally, but nonetheless still a risk. I keep that in my head at all times. But I don't like being nervous about myself ... so I prefer to hunt alone. If I hurt myself ... well, crap! But if I hurt someone else? Not sure I could live with that.

Comment

Hunting State Land in N.Y.State walking to a spot I had good luck with in past hunts,I came across a dead man laying over a deer,(no cell-phones 1971)I walked out of the woods to a Pay Phone called N.Y.State Troopers, The short of this the Man was Shot in the back by his younger Son the day before by Accident?

Comment

Hunting State Land in N.Y.State walking to a spot I had good luck with in past hunts,I came across a dead man laying over a deer,(no cell-phones 1971)I walked out of the woods to a Pay Phone called N.Y.State Troopers, The short of this the Man was Shot in the back by his younger Son the day before by Accident?
                        I hunt alone.

Comment

Treestand - Your story takes the cake!

Comment

Follow me here, the fella I was hunting with has a Masters Degree in Commercial Safety, we were 30 yards apart, I was using my 25-06, he was using a 30-06 with 130 grain. While walking on flat ground a jackrabbit popped up right between us, he aimed I yelled! He said the bullet wouldn't of gone anywhere. Think about it, Masters Degree in what and did I mention was the Chief of Ground Safety at the Base I was stationed at....

Comment

I would not make light of the hazards of hunting alone, although I have done so on many occasions.
                              Dozens of hunters die of heart attacks every year while dragging a deer without the help of a companion.
                              And I've heard of at least one hunter who was found dead several days after he fell out of his tree stand, and was hanging suspended midway between the ground and his seat in the treestand.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad