Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The New Jersey bear hunt lasted six days. I sat in my tree stand everyday during legal shooting light. I took my lunch in with m

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The New Jersey bear hunt lasted six days. I sat in my tree stand everyday during legal shooting light. I took my lunch in with m

The New Jersey bear hunt lasted six days. I sat in my tree stand everyday during legal shooting light. I took my lunch in with me so I can stay all day. The temperature was in the teens. I was warm as toast because I was wearing my Auturmwood Wool Jacket that I bought at the Harrisburg, Pennsylvania Sportsmen Show. My first comment has my written report about the hunt. I also attached two links of photos of the big bear that I got on my trail camera. The bear’s paw tracks mysteriously appeared in the snow on the third day of the hunt. The biggest bear tracks I ever seen. My trail camera photos of this huge bear were taken a half an hour before midnight during the fourth day of the Jersey hunt. My question is what is your estimated guess on the weight of this bear? The photos are at the end of my first comment.

Sorry for the typo, the jacket was Autumnwood.

I went to my bear location four days before the hunt. I pulled out my three trail cameras. The cameras were in the woods two weeks prior and I checked out all three memory cards. Two cameras were hot with a lot of bear action and I got over two thousand photos. Many photos were sows with cubs and only a couple boars that were shooters close to three hundred pounds. My trail cams didn’t get one deer photo. Whoever said deer like dry dog food is full of soup. I put out lots of bait at two of my locations. This time I added a fifty pound bag of corn for the deer.

The first day I did not see a bear or deer. I was eighteen feet up in a tree stand and down wind from the bait pile.

The second day I spotted a single bear walking in the pines fifty yards out and it looked like average size bear weighing around two hundred pounds.

The third day I spotted the biggest bear track in my life in the snow walking over top of my tracks from the day before heading toward my bait pile location. When it got first light the huge bear was not there on my bait pile but the food was half gone.

The fourth morning I took in more bait and a trail camera. I had to know when this bruiser bear was coming into the bait pile and I wanted to see his trail cam photo. Later that day I spotted a herd of six deer and there were no shooter bucks. The deer didn’t give a hoot about the bait pile as they passed by. I poured sardines with that stinking oil all over the corn earlier. I know the deer could smell the sardine oil because some of the juice got on my hands and I could smell it all day long while hunting in my tree stand.

The fifth day I saw another lone bear walking by and he was smaller then the bear I spotted earlier in the week. Guessing I would say he weight was more like a hundred and fifty pounds. At the end of the evening hunt I pulled out my trail camera. I wanted to see this monster bear that was feeding on my bait pile and leaving large paw prints. While at the bait pile I could see a large matted down bear trail in the snow coming in from the back of thicket of rhododendrons and it was being used by the huge bear. His tracks were the only ones in the snow at the bait pile. The other bears were probably to damn scare to come in. I wish I had a hand held camera in my backpack because that trail was as big as a human path. I could have placed a dollar bill along side the paw print so you guys would appreciate the size.

The last day was a bust. All I saw were squirrels. My trail camera did get night photos of this huge bear. I set my trail camera up the tree high. The bear is so big he has small ears, a short shout, wide neck and he has a large body. Seeing that biggest bear track of my life and that giant bear on my trail camera made the hunt a total success.
    Below are my trail cam photos of this giant bear that moved during the safety of darkness. I posted these two photos on the Field & Stream Trophy Room. The one good thing is next year that huge bear will get even bigger.

www.fieldandstream.com/photos/trophyroom/recent/single?bonnier_photos_maintype=%2A%2AALL%2A%2A&fil ter0=%2A%2AALL%2A%2A&filter1=%2A%2AALL%2A%2A&filte r2=%2A%2AALL%2A%2A&page=2

www.fieldandstream.com/photos/trophyroom/recent/single?bonnier_photos_maintype=**ALL**&filter0=**A LL**&filter1=**ALL**&filter2=**ALL**&page=3&pnid=1 001499363

Comment

The photos of the two bears together is the wrong photo. The second photo listed above is the big bear I'm talking about.
      The photo date is December 12, 2013.
      I hope this is the head photo of the big bear.
      If I'm wrong again just go to the Trophy Room Page. sorry

www.fieldandstream.com/photos/trophyroom/recent/single?bonnier_photos_maintype=**ALL**&filter0=**A LL**&filter1=**ALL**&filter2=**ALL**&page=2&pnid=1 001499364

Comment

I can't really see him that well in the photo, First I would like to take you for taking a bear, Lord knows the Jersey herd needs to be substantially thinned, my brothers and their kids also thank you.
        As to the bear, I have seen a lot of big boars in eastern PA., and when their bellies are touching the ground when they walk they are over 500lb, this guy does not look that big, but he one to brag on!

Comment

Several years ago at a check station in PA i saw a bear that was 562#. It was huge, clearly visible in the back of a pick-up truck without even opening the tailgate... I would say your bear is at least that size. That's a big bear.

Comment

That is a whopper. My experience is relatively limited in terms of bears and especially in seeing bears weighed which is the best way to become an accurate judge of any animal. I would put it in the 500lb+ class which is probably as close as I can come from a photo.
            Gary just for comparison, I would appreciate it if you look at the bear in the "still out there" photo on my profile and venture a guess as to weight and to how it compares to your example. We think it is the bear I shot last year but that photo is from 2011.
            I hope you get a shot at that one at some point! The bear I shot was 11 yrs old so you might get more than one season with him. We think we have two years of pics and he never came in before dark except that night and only beat end of shooting light by 4 minutes. Hopefully they will figure out the 100 yd thing in Jersey and you will be able to get up close with him.

Comment

Thank you, to everybody who took the time to answer my question. +1

Check out my trail cam photo of this New Jersey monster bear smelling an old bee hive.
              His stomach is hanging down and his legs are like giant tree trunks.
              He could be the same bear on the night trail cam photos and the one leaving those monster paw tracks?

www.fieldandstream.com/contest_entry/1001498106?page=156&pnid=1001499352

Steve and Chuckles, I also was thinking in the mid 500 pounds. I had two four hundred pound bears last year and this bear's paw print in the snow blew their prints away.

Sorry, I didn't get better photos. My batteries in the trail camera were low reading 40 percent power and I set the camera high. I had chocolate peanut butter spread all over the same tree three feet up for the bears.

Chuckles, I went into your profile to check out that Minnesota bear on the bait pile. Your camera was also high aiming down and I couldn’t see the bear’s hanging belly. That bear does have a long body with a small head which means a big bear. Guessing his weight I would say he would make the five hundred pound club also.

Comment

We had a 500# bear around our camp in PA the past couple years. Last summer I was lighting a campfire for the kids,... I caught movement, and saw him standing on his hinds about 25 yds away. I was startled but awestruck. He looked giant and seemed like he was just curious. Wish i had a camera.

Comment

Gary that's what we thought too. There are two mounted bears in different cities around here. One is 500lb and the other 690. The bear I shot is definitely bigger than the one said to weigh 500 but not a match for the larger one.
                  At least it gives us something to jaw about around the fire

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 16 Years
                    by rock rat
                    Jimbo this morning I heard a woman interviewed on the radio, she was the state coordinator with the Kamala for President group during the primaries. All...
                    Today, 10:59 AM
                  • 16 Years
                    by jhjimbo
                    So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                    Yesterday, 09:20 PM
                  • Reply to More Bad News....
                    by dewman
                    Had a big long post typed half dozen times but I just won't discuss losing my dogs. Doubt I ever will. I know what you're feeling, I am sorry for your...
                    Today, 10:55 AM
                  • More Bad News....
                    by WA Mtnhunter
                    My 13+ year old Black Lab is still plugging along. Not sure how much or if he will hunt this fall. The real bad news is that my 8-year old Lab, Scout,...
                    07-19-2020, 12:00 PM
                  • Reply to More Bad News....
                    by jhjimbo
                    So sorry for your loss....
                    Today, 10:40 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X