Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is your favorite coyote gun, and what caliber.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is your favorite coyote gun, and what caliber.

what is your favorite coyote gun, and what caliber.

Savage axis .223 loaded with 55 grain fmjs.

Comment

25-06... speed of the 22-250 with double the range. Short leads. 75g V-Max at 3750 fps or 90g Sierra GK at 3600 depending on conditions.

If they are likely to be within 300 yards, the .223 50g V-Max at 3450 fps in a highly accurate AR is just deadly for runners and multiple varmints coming to your call.

Comment

My favorites are in .223 and .22-250: a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in .223 is my light rifle, a Howa 1500 heavy-barrel in .223, and a Rem 700BDL heavy barrel in .22-250. All are deadly on coyotes, but I choose the rifle depending on the terrain and whether I'm hiking or firing from a fixed position. Photos of these and others are in my profile; just click on my name.

Comment

I have Two Favorites: #1 A Pre 64 Win/70-17Hornet with an old V9-W Weaver/USA. #2 Ruger 77/MKII/C-.223 with a Bushnell Elite 3200/3-9x40 Firefly Glowing Reticle both are extremely Accurate Coyote Killers.

Comment

Treestand reminded me... I use the Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x50 with the firefly reticle on my 25-06. I really like that reticle and highly recommend it. You give it a flash of light and it is visible in low light. No batteries to fail at the wrong time. Nice for very early or very late calling when you just can't see your reticle.

Comment

Remington 700 Varmint with Burris 6X24 in 22-250, but I just got the new Savage B Mag rifle in the new Winchester .17WSM. Winchester claims it will take a coyote at 300yds. I have a 4X16 scope on it and am in the process of checking it out.

Comment

Forgot to mention the rifle. I've normally used custom premium barrels for accuracy but am currently using a stock Rem 700 Sendero in 25-06 for foxes and coyotes. My .223 of choice is a Bushmaster Varminter with 24" heavy barrel & Millet 6-24x50 Tactical mil-dot. I guess I use that the most because it with 50g V-Max bullets, it does less damage to pelts.

I've personally had little need for coyote ranges beyond about 250 yards to-date (mostly calling or jumping them and they rarely make it that far) but the 25-06 will do 600 or more if necessary. Now foxes are a different matter. I often hunt them while they lay on the mounds in the spring and 400-600 yard shots or more are common and require a highly accurate rifle. Both of these shoot around .25 MOA and get the job done.

Comment

I've taken several 'yotes with a NEF Handi Rifle in .22 Hornet.
                  I like the .223 and .22-250 also for varmint only purposes.

Comment

I have had great success with both 22-250 and 25-06. However, unlike Dakota I cheat and call them in. I think he chases them off to great distance, then feels obligated to fire a warning shot prior to knocking them dead. Just teasing Dakota, have great respect for your shooting skills, indeed am somewhat jealous. Kindest Regards

Comment

Browning 22-250 Safari Grade. The rifle shoots better than I can.

Comment

22-250 Weatherby Mark V (weatherby 3 x 9 x 40 scope)and Savage LRPV (Nikon Monarch 8 x 35 x 50).

Comment

Remington 887 Nitro mag 3.5 inch 18 pellet double ought buck with a superfull turkey choke!!!!

Comment

Comment

.243 Ruger american rifle loaded up with 55 grains of lead

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 16 Years
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                I see an interesting piece up on CBC this morning that says Kamala would be a perfect fit for the Conservative party if she was running for office up...
                                Today, 11:19 AM
                              • 16 Years
                                by jhjimbo
                                So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                                Yesterday, 09:20 PM
                              • Reply to More Bad News....
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                WAM, I am very sorry to hear about Scout. I know words at times such as this are of little help, but know they are filled with much feeling of sorrow...
                                Today, 11:12 AM
                              • More Bad News....
                                by WA Mtnhunter
                                My 13+ year old Black Lab is still plugging along. Not sure how much or if he will hunt this fall. The real bad news is that my 8-year old Lab, Scout,...
                                07-19-2020, 12:00 PM
                              • Reply to 16 Years
                                by rock rat
                                Jimbo this morning I heard a woman interviewed on the radio, she was the state coordinator with the Kamala for President group during the primaries. All...
                                Today, 10:59 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X