Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone have any experience hunting coyote from a blind? I have a blind set up at the edge of a field and am wondering if th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have any experience hunting coyote from a blind? I have a blind set up at the edge of a field and am wondering if th

Does anyone have any experience hunting coyote from a blind? I have a blind set up at the edge of a field and am wondering if they will pick up the open windows that look like black holes or if the blind itself makes them leary. Thanks

Don't know about calling from a blind or pop-up, but I've killed several while deer hunting from a blind/pop-up!
    I'd say give it a whirl, it sure won't hurt to try!

Comment

I've never hunted them from a blind because you don't need to. If you are camouflaged and sit low so that you blend into your background, you can call them pretty close downwind. Coyotes are smart and will be leery of a new blind setup. If you can leave it out for a few weeks until they become accustomed to it, you should be alright. They are also quite territorial and know their territory well so after you shoot at one or get exposed, they may leave never to be seen again. It also helps to get into a tree stand or hunt from the top of a hay stack. They don't look up as much as deer and may come closer. Plus that gets your scent up off the ground a bit in case one approaches from downwind.

At times they will come close on the ground. While hunting on the ground I've actually had them put their nose to my gun barrel to give it a smell. Last year, while hunting with my brother, he was hiding behind a big log. He made his call and shortly thereafter saw one reach his head over the log and look down at him; not more than six inches away.

Comment

I have taken Coyotes from a Box blinds, Pop-ups, Sitting in a Chair in the Bed of my truck, If you beat them! You will shoot them! Camo-Up Amigo.

Comment

They are the slyest critter in the woods! They make that 7 year old buck look like a bushytail. Id probably just camo up and sit in a blowdown or a brushpile and be still. They have eyes as sharp as a turkey and a nose that will make a whitetail blush.....use a decoy with your calling with movement. If you dont have a mojo and cant afford one get a turkey primary feather and tie it to a dow rod about a 6"-8" inches off the ground or get a little cat toy or something that looks like yote chow and do the same. Anything to create movement to take eyes off of you and your golden!

Comment

I only stay in one spot for 30 to 45 minutes then move to another set up. A blind would be too much to move so I rely on the natural surroundings for camo.

Comment

I do have a mojo, but I find in our cold temps it freezes up from the cold and wont turn. I have been looking for an alternative to the mojo in cold weather and the turkey feather is a great idea. Thank you drewbeman.

Comment

I've been told a bait pile with a blind setup nearby works, pour water over the bait pile so it freezes to the ground and cant be dragged off,, they will come in to eat and not be bothered by a blind on the edge of the treeline. Thanks for all of the responses.

Comment

Usually theyll hold up long enough for you to take a shot.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad