Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your favorite bait for coyotes? If you bait for them that is.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your favorite bait for coyotes? If you bait for them that is.

What's your favorite bait for coyotes? If you bait for them that is.

My buddy has shot 40+ coyotes . He has a perfect setup. He lives it he country and has pasture fields and hayfields surrounding his house. He has a shooting bench set up in his garage and it is 400 yards to a place in his pasture field where he puts road kill deer that he picks up. He kills most of his coyotes right at daylight in the morning feeding on the road kill deer. I would say that they are pretty good bait. His dedicated coyote rifle is a .204 .

Comment

sarge +1 for the .204. And coyotes will come to any dead animal like roadkill deer/elk or cows/horses that had to be put down. I have killed them trying to eat woodchucks that we shot just a few minuets earlier. they are opportunistic feeders and will come to just about any bait. the bigger the better though because a small doe will be picked apart after the first night you leave it out but a 2 ton steer will be good to shoot yotes off of for almost a week depending on the numbers in your area. The thing i found to be most important is to setup pretty far from the bait 200+, 300+ is better because most yotes are careful when coming into a bait.

Comment

I've found beaver carcass to be some of the best

Comment

I use two large cans of cheep meat Dog food as a starter out in a food plot, Empty out 1 can and open the other can left full on the ground, I punch 2 holes in can#2 run some wire in the holes and tent stake it in the ground.

Comment

Any kind of dog food mixed in gravy/any kind of thick meaty sauce has worked well for me. Its easy to take out and coyotes can''t resist it.

Comment

Gut pile.

Comment

You can't beat a gut pile. I think my best success has come from turkey goose and duck leftovers. Just hunt over it early morning and late evening.

Comment

I like to chiken wire the leftover skin of my deer kills to a tree at the back of my property. Thus far this year I have 4 yotes and 2 fox on one deer. But like many others have said, if it is dead they will eat it.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
                    by 99explorer
                    CRM - It would be nice if you could address the issues presented in opposing comments instead of deriding the person posting the comments.
                    Anybody
                    Today, 01:09 AM
                  • Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
                    by rock rat

​​​​​​[email protected]: “Oh, you’re doing death as a proportion of cases. I’m talking about death as a proportion of population....
                    Yesterday, 09:27 AM
                  • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                    by 99explorer
                    Dream on boys. We've all seen an actual cold-blooded murder take place on TV, and the kneeling cop will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law....
                    Today, 12:57 AM
                  • The George Floyd case.
                    by FirstBubba
                    Body cam footage shows Floyd wasn't murdered. The cop kneeling on his neck might have been negligent, but his actions did not kill Floyd.
                    Minnesota...
                    Yesterday, 10:23 PM
                  • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                    by crm3006
                    My mistake, I didn't realize the Minnesota AG was going to prosecute. I thought it was U.S. Attorney Erica MacDonald. ellison being a muslim, there is...
                    Yesterday, 11:24 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X