Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Older Brother Bill went out early in the week and put the remains from his family Thanksgiving turkey on his bear bait pile.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Older Brother Bill went out early in the week and put the remains from his family Thanksgiving turkey on his bear bait pile.

My Older Brother Bill went out early in the week and put the remains from his family Thanksgiving turkey on his bear bait pile. He also put out peanut butter, sardines and other items for bears. He then put up his climbing sticks and tree stand a hundred yards away from the bait pile pursuant to the game law. My brother said he was clearing branches and cutting limbs making his tree stand ready for the New Jersey bear hunt. When Bill finished his tree stand he started to walk out and spotted a 250 pound black bear boar on his bait pile. The bear was standing with his head low to the ground staring directly at my brother. My brother said he was twenty yards away from that bear and he started to back away slowly. The bear never took his eyes off him. What is your opinion was my brother in danger being that close to a black bear that was protecting the food source?

It is up to no person other than your brother. We all know what bears are capable of and if he felt he was threatened, then he should have killed it. I 100% believe that he was in danger simply because of how quickly a bear can cover that distance! but I was not there and he clearly made it out ok.

Comment

Any time you're within 20 yards of a bear (even a tame one) you're in a dangerous scenario. I've had a few close encounters myself, and luckily they have all ended well. The closest was literally inches away. It walked through our camp early in the AM and I woke up to the bear sniffing my shoes just outside of my tent...that's right...it was so close, the sound of it sniffing my shoes is what woke me up.

Comment

SCBuilder66, New Jersey bear season starts Monday.
        The only thing my brother was holding was a bow saw. He said he never even expected it and he didn't have a knife or camera.
        Now if that bear was a grizzly or a brown bear he would of been killed or mauled.

Comment

Depends on how big and mean yo brudda is.Onced Chief Jay Strongbow (WWE Hall of Famer) walked into mah murdersickle shop in Griffin, GA and he wuz bigger than thet b'ar and Ah wood have bet on him!

Comment

Two Hunting Seasons ago(2011)We had a young hunter shoot a Doe that ran off, He asked me to help track her as we started about a 1/2 Hr in to it we came on a Black Bear dragging the Doe in its mouth He/She dropped the deer and turned towards us about(60Yd)and lifted up on its hind legs facing us Guarding the deer! We call off the tracking and went back to Camp.( if we only had a season on Bears)???

Comment

Treestand, you just had the worst bear attack in the history of Florida. That lady in the hospital was walking her dogs in the town neighborhood.
              The Florida bear population will keep going upward. The liberal politicians will finally understand the need for a bear hunt. The hunt will take out most of the trouble maker bears who roam near towns and cities. The bear living deep in the Everglades will be untouched.

Here is the link for that "911 call" on the Florida bear attack this week.

www.wftv.com/videos/news/911-call-bear-attacks-woman/vCKY69/

Comment

I will admit that I read poorly, but I sort of stopped after reading:

"My Older Brother Bill went out early in the week and put the remains from his family..."

I almost spilled my Scotch, and everyone in the office wondered what was I was looking at this morning.

Comment

I've never had a problem with black bears. Have witnessed our camp cook whack a bold bear in the skull with a cast iron skillet. She takes her cooking very seriously.

Comment

Thanks Gary: the local News has been Playing the 911 call for two days. If you go on-line check our Woods&Waters.com you can read all about the Bear problems us Hunters have.
                    T-Stand

Comment

By the way they got that 200# Bear and put it down.

Comment

Gary, I would say your brother was very lucky,most Back bears east of the Delaware have not experienced any hunting pressure and have little fear(if any) of humans, and are for the most part quite young, sort of like big teenagers, always having to prove themselves. The only scenario worse would be a sow with cubs on that bait pile. I would also be concerned about the packs of wolf-like coyotes in the area, large and dangerous.

Comment

I forgot to add this , my brother in Madison N.J. had a bear down the street and coyotes on the outside of his fence the other day, he can not let his dog out after dark now.

Comment

I admit that Black bears are typically much more well mannered, but they can still be dangerous. In Kansas we do not have some of the natural threats that you do, but I don't go anywhere without my .45. I know that a .45 ACP isn't exactly a bear killer, but he'd stop charging after 8 or 9 rounds. We are allowed to open carry, and use our conceal and carry permits. That would be a hell of a scary situation to only have a saw, but I would recommend to anyone that is taking bear bate to their bait pile to take protection. You are asking for trouble if you don't.

Comment

Better carry a gun of some sort while tending bait piles. All the Master Baiters will confirm that in their short arm inspection.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad