Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In "The Herald" Newspaper yesterday a woman wrote a "Letter to the Editor" in reference to the New Jersey bear hunt. The writer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JMFriedman
    replied
    I'm the author of that letter, and I want to thank you all for your support. The only way this issue will reach a positive resolution for all involved is through publicity and understanding. Field and Stream's readers show understanding in spades, and this little bit of publicity is helpful to the cause. Thanks again!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Any large predator, be it bear, cat, or wolf, should be legal to kill the moment it becomes a danger to either humans or livestock. Should the bears be intelligent enough to eat or severely maim a few of the hysterical "bear activists" the lady writes about, they, the "bear activists", will almost certainly jump on a band wagon to have all bears either eradicated or incarcerated in a zoo.

Leave a comment:

• Pray- hunt-work
    replied
    Two cents**** sorry

Leave a comment:

• Pray- hunt-work
    replied
    Gary- Jhjimbo is right. Now is the time to capitalize on the editors willingness to print bear control and hunting related issues. If someone were to write a civilized, non degrading, sensible approach to managing the bear populations it would seem to me that the editors may print it, and non hunters may actually be intrigued by it. Statistics from non offensive sources may help open eyes. College studies done in other states; other states F&G studies, or maybe just independent research conclusions done by well regarded biologists may get enough faith from the masses to help your cause. Just an uneducated opinion, but it seems to be worth a try. Sadly enough, you may be better to have full faith of the unbiased non hunters than full support of the hunters. There are alot of loud, obnoxious morons in our sport that don't need to be our poster child. Just my two sense.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Gary, I should not have used the word 'rebut'. What I mean is a letter to the editor referencing her letter, saying the hunters of New Jersey are ready, willing and able to,in a sportsman and ethical manner,help the State accomplish realistic game management goals with black bears and any other game animal deemed necessary. Pointing out to the State and all readers the potential value of the New Jersey hunters to all Citizens, hunters or not.

Leave a comment:

• seth trudeau
    replied
    I hope that the lady gets the people to change there mind.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    jhjimbo, why rebut this letter?
    I think it is a fantastic letter and well written.

My favorite part was when Joanne wrote, "Where was the part where the activists came up with a workable alternative to reduce the bear population here"?

The bear/bambi lovers have no suggestion on how to stop the bear over population explosion. Bear hunters will reduce the number of bears in New Jersey and it will not cost the government one cent.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Gary, Why don't you write a rebuttal or Sportsman's 'position' letter to the editor of The Herald referencing the above readers letter?

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    Letters to the editor tend to be selected for printing if the authors sound like they know what they are talking about, which is clearly the case here.

Leave a comment:

• RJ Arena
    replied
    Several years ago during the long bear hunting "drought" in N.J., I lived across the river in eastern PA., where we had bear hunting seasons. We did not have the level of bear attacks on livestock or property, because the bears kept away from humans, because they were hunted. In most of N.J. they have no fear, so the problem is multiplied. I think I have a solution to the anti-hunters that stir up so much trouble, why not ask them to be involved in bear birth control, they can start by assisting the boars with putting on their condoms.......

Leave a comment:

• RJ Arena
    replied
    Several years ago during the long bear hunting "drought" in N.J., I lived across the river in eastern PA., where we had bear hunting seasons. We did not have the level of bear attacks on livestock or property, because the bears kept away from humans, because they were hunted. In most of N.J. they have no fear, so the problem is multiplied. I think I have a solution to the anti-hunters that stir up so much trouble, why not ask them to be involved in bear birth control, they can start by assisting the boars with putting on their condoms.......

Leave a comment:

• wittsec
    replied
    Another example of politicians listening to those who scream loudest and forgetting about everyone else. One of the biggest reasons that cause issues like this is that politicians no longer spend time actually listening to what their constituents have to say.

Leave a comment:

• ozarkghost
    replied
    *There has to be a middle ground to which each extreme gives a little so that all gain a lot.*

Leave a comment:

• ozarkghost
    replied
    Very eloquent and intelligently written letter. Ever since the first villages came into existence, the problem of managing wild animals has existed. To completely leave wild animals to their own adds to the over crowding, food shortages, disease, and ultimately conflict between humans and domesticated animals. On the other hand complete annihilation of species negatively impacts ourselves and nature as well. There has to be a middle ground to which extreme gives a little so that all gain a lot. We, as hunters, provide a needed service to protect civilization, read communities and cities, and wildlife, whose healthy survival depends on us.

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    She did a great job. Exposing the few extremists to the politicians really helps. They typically are only concerned about getting votes and think the "new wave" thinking is representative of the masses. When faced with reality, they tend to back off.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad