Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunting in Africa question - see first post

Hunting in Africa question - see first post

For those of you who have been hunting in Africa, first of all, I'm jealous and hope to go at some point later on in life.

Secondly, I'm tiring of arguing with non-hunting friends regarding the ethics of trophy hunting, as I have no evidence to back my claims. I know a large portion of the money goes towards conservation of natural resources in those areas, and is likely a major income source for local conservation, but I don't have any actual information demonstrating that.

If you go on a $40k hunting safari, where does all that money go? If anybody has any information or links regarding where the money goes, or how much of it goes toward conservation, or any other info regarding allocation of money, I'd be very interested to hear about it. Thanks!

Comment

Start with this editorial by Tanzania's Director of Wildlife:
      www.nytimes.com/2013/03/18/opinion/saving-lions-by-killing-them.html?_r=0

Comment

hermit crab

Here's a pretty good read on "trophy hunting" with some moderninteresting!.
        I'll never make Africa, but I find what they have to say refreshing....and interesting!

Professional Hunters For A Changing Africa
        by Terry Cacek
        Llumina Press - ©2004

Comment

I think explaining that someone eats the meat is a good start. Too many non-hunters think trophy hunters just kill and take the head and cape and the rest rots. I believe in Africa the meat is often consumed locally. At least in the videos I have seen no personal experience. Also it gives many rare animals value and deters poaching.

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone so far.

Eating the meat is all well and good and I hope it's a given for all hunters everywhere, but for animals that are relatively rare, I'm more interested in where the proceeds go, as opposed to the meat. For instance, if a portion of an elephant tag goes towards poaching prevention, etc.

Comment

It is a little more complicated than cash from the hunt going to conservation. First of all, you have to consider what the situation would be if hunting were not allowed. Taking elephants for example, you would have a village of locals trying to scrape out a living in inhospitable country any way they can, usually a combination of farming, foraging, and hunting. When an elephant comes in and starts destroying crops, it represents two things. First, it is a pest hurting their livelihood, and secondly, it is a whole lot of meat available for the taking. They don’t care if it is an old bull past breeding age or a cow with calf. They will eat it before it eats their crops. Toss in the money that can be made by ivory poaching, and in very short order, you won’t have any more elephants.

On the other hand, you have a Professional Hunter operating in that same area. He employs an extraordinary number of locals as trackers, skinners, cooks, housekeepers, mechanics, etc., so now they are not quite so dependent on crops and hunting. The hunting pressure and efforts by the PH also keep the elephants out of the crops. When a hunter takes an elephant, the locals get the meat, so there is no loss there. They will also get a bonus from the client/PH for their work. The hunting clients only want trophy bulls, so the cows and calves are safe. Furthermore, the locals know that the elephants are the reasons they have jobs, meat, crop protection and bonuses, so instead of poaching elephants themselves, they are now helping to prevent poaching, because it now directly affects them. Because the elephants are valuable to everyone involved, they are safe.

For a simpler and more direct example, look at the ranches on which plains game are hunted. Most were at one time or another cattle ranches. Because of the money paid by hunters, it has become more profitable to turn the land into a hunting preserve than a cattle ranch. Again, because hunters only want mature males, the area is teeming with females and young, rather than cattle. Simple market economics – kudu and gemsbok are more valuable to a landowner than cattle.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad