Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for all.... Do you use premium ammo ( Nosler, Federal Premium,Hornady, other top tier ammo) or basic ammo ( Remington C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for all.... Do you use premium ammo ( Nosler, Federal Premium,Hornady, other top tier ammo) or basic ammo ( Remington C

Question for all.... Do you use premium ammo ( Nosler, Federal Premium,Hornady, other top tier ammo) or basic ammo ( Remington Cor-lock, Winchester Power Point, S&B for big game hunting? Which brand do you like best? I have been lucky most of my rifles shoot best with plain vanilla cheap stuff like Power Points.

I shoot Remington Core-Lokt in all my guns except my .243. for that I get better groups and better knock-down(with deer) with Winchester ballistic silver tips. I have never shot anything else so I'm not sure on the performance of the higher brands.

Comment

I shoot Remington Core-Lokt in all my guns except my .243. for that I get better groups and better knock-down(with deer) with Winchester ballistic silver tips. I have never shot anything else so I'm not sure on the performance of the higher brands.

Comment

I shoot Federal Premium BTSP in all of my rifles except one. I shoot Hornady Customs in my 7 Mag. My turkey shotgun however loves cheap Remington's.

Comment

I hunt with Hornady A-Max's I target practice with federal and remi core lokt, but at distances and in inclement weather I have found that my hunting rifles all seem to eat premium ammo a little bit more accurately. I also think the expansion in the A-Max is the best out there. When I am killing hogs and getting rid of coyotes and such I use cheaper ammo because I do a little more shooting.

Comment

I feed everything but scatterguns a diet of Sierra bullets.
            Front stuffers use Berman .429", 200gr FP.

If I need brass, I purchase Winchester ammo and practice with it.

Scatterguns get only Rem or Win, 2.75" ammo.
            Sixteen is difficult to get, but there is still some out there.

Comment

On the east coast, plain vanilla from a quality manufacturer (winchester, remington, etc) are good enough for hunting purposes. In the deer woods, I would never even consider taking a shot more than 150yds.

If you are taking a shot where an inch will matter, you are either shooting paper targets in competition or else you are taking too risky of a shot at a deer.

Out west, if you're doing a sniper impression and slinging lead 500+ yards at a pronghorn, bullet selection likely matters a lot more.

(I have remarkably different opinions on what to shoot out of my Anschutz .22, which should be able to drive tacks into the middle of the paper each and every time).

Comment

SCBuilder66,
                You use target ammo for hunting and cheap hunting ammo for target?
                To answer the question, for my deer rifle I shoot what I guess you could call "Semi-premium" ammo. Which is Federal Fusion, and it's not non-premium because it's boat-tail and bonded, but yet it's still not premium. BTW it's only $25 per box.

Comment

I hunt and target shoot my own reload ammo. CoreLoks,Nosler,Sierra, Hornady for target shooting and Nosler Partition and Swift A Frame for hunting.
                  I seldom buy factory, except I do collect very old factory ammo if it is a complete box and in excellent condition, almost any caliber.

Comment

As I have grown older I focus on making things simpler. In this vein, if my rifles like them, I try to stick with Barnes Triple Shock bullets and Federal components, and or , Federal factory ammo. I even have my 470 Nitro Express double rifle regulated for Federal factory ammo which use Woodleigh bullets. I use many different rifles and calibers and this ammo selection seems to cover the broad spectrum of calibers and large selection of animals I hunt. For my uses terminal ballistics are very important and I have had good luck with Federal Additionally, availability of commercial ammo in strange places is important, Federal seems to fit this criteria. Not disparaging other fine brands, this simple focus just works for me in most cases.

Comment

I like the Extra I get with Hornady and Federal Fusion Ammo, You never know when the Buck of a life time is in your Rifle Scope!

Comment

Everything that I shoot I load myself. My bullets are Hornady Interlock or Nosler Accubond. Occasionally I do load some Combined Technology bullets from Winchester and Nosler for big game hunting. In my smaller rifle (.223) I usually load Sierra, Nosler Balistic Tip, or Hornady V Max .

Comment

The best Moose kill I've witnessed (O here we go again, snicker) was a kid witha 30-06 shooting 180 grain Core-Lokt®. I uesd 225 Hornady Soft points in my 338 Win Mag, nothing ever walked away from it.

ken.mcloud said it best! “So, I think that the superior killing power of larger rounds is largely in our heads.(likely testosterone induced) A flat-shooting round that you can accurately place will produce as many if not more "bang-flop" kills as a heavy caliber round.”
                          -
                          On the other hand
                          -
                          "We have not heard from Ken McCloud in ages hope he was not carrying a fast stepping small caliber rifle and ran into a testosterone laden elephant that could not spell hydrostatic shock. Just teasing Clay. Kindest Regards"
                          -Happy Myles

Comment

i USED to shoot federal premium through my .270 wsm. stuff shot great, worked well on game, then it went to $70 freaking bucks for a box of 20. so i said screw that and started shooting winchester, and it groups inside MOA at 100 yards, so i have no complaints even with some of the cheaper ammo.

Comment

I shoot only hand loads tuned to my specific rifle. I use Hornady Interbonds or Sierra Game Kings for hunting most of the time because of their accuracy. I also use Berger bullets or Hornady AMaxs/VMaxs for target/varmint shooting. I use the Bergers for long range hunting and target shooting. T

The choice of factory ammo depends on your intended use. If you need long range accuracy you need to experiment with what shoots best in your specific rifle. If you shoot one or two shots a year in the deer woods, anything that you shoot will stop a deer within 100 yards. Successful rifle hunting has a lot more to do with putting your bullet in the right spot than shooting the most expensive bullet you can buy. Premium bullets need to be considered if you are shooting something exceptional large and exceptionally tough like a cape buffalo.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad