Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am shopping for a new GPS and would appreciate any recommendations. I am looking for something that I can put one of the land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am shopping for a new GPS and would appreciate any recommendations. I am looking for something that I can put one of the land

I am shopping for a new GPS and would appreciate any recommendations. I am looking for something that I can put one of the landowner chips in for western states. I don't really care about any other features, and of course, less expensive is better. Thanks!

I have a Garmin eTrex that works well - good battery life. I would check with some from the area you are going and see what they use. For example, some don't work well if inside clothing or under a dense canopy.

Comment

Have had a Garmin Colorado for years and I love it. I have gotten to the point that I carry extra batteries and never shut it off when afield. The embedded topo maps help me platy my track and I always come dead on the car when I shoot an azimuth no matter how far I wander off the trail. I thought about an upgrade to the newer Oregon but that is all touch screen and I may not be keen on taking my gloves off some cold winter day. (Colorado has a wheel).

Comment

I've had good luck with my garmin Oregon combined with the www.huntinggpsmaps.com sd cards that show public and private ground, etc. I find the camera on the Oregon valuable for not only trophy pics but I take pictures of saddles, wallows, rubs, etc and the photos are marked by location in the gps so it basically holds detailed notes about where stuff is.

Comment

No matter what you get, go with a Garmin.

Comment

I guess I tuned in just to agree with everyone else, make it a Garmin, no matter what when afield. The only exceptions are Standard Horizon on the water and TomTom in the pickup.

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I just ordered a Garmin Oregon. Cabela's has them on sale right now for $180, marked down from $500, if anybody else is in the market or wants to get some Christmas shopping done early.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad