Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm trying to contain my excitement a little longer but I'm not doing real great at it! haha. So I want to hear from you hunters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm trying to contain my excitement a little longer but I'm not doing real great at it! haha. So I want to hear from you hunters

I'm trying to contain my excitement a little longer but I'm not doing real great at it! haha. So I want to hear from you hunters with lots of experience in tree stands. 1st post will explain.

So myself and 2 engineer friends have been working on a tree step that should create a whole new look at tree stand access.

The biggest benefit we bring to the table is our extensive experience with ridiculously competitive manufacturing. So as we designed our product, we were able to get it created at a price point just a hair above the basic screw in steel steps. But the added level of versatility is huge.

So what I'm looking for from you guys is some feedback. I'd like to hear what you guys have had for complaints about tree steps, tree sticks, any method for getting into a stand. I feel like I'm going to be able to tell you we have addressed everything that can be said.

More importantly we're really close to kicking off our tooling to start full production. Once we get some in off the production tooling, I'm coming back to give away a couple sets to some people who can give some good feedback. I promise I'll give some good heads up before I open up the giveaway.

Hit me up with complaints, wish lists, whatever. I'm psyched as we get close to cutting this thing loose.

Comment

Ok so I have been hunting in a stand all my whole life. This is the first year i have tried the screw in steps, they suck! First off they take to much time to get in and there not the easiest to climb up. If you could come up with a nice one peace fold able or some sort of ladder system that a person could set up in seconds and set against the tree. That is what needs to be made, a lader system that can be step a fast and easy, no straps or screw in pegs. light weight and something that can be all one part, not a bunch of different parts that you need to bring into the field. There has to be away to do it.

Comment

I'm pretty interested in what you have in mind tho, sounds pretty cool.

Comment

I've hunted two ladder stands.
          I'm no behemoth by any means, but I'm no bantam weight either!
          Both were flimsy and clunky. I never felt at ease in either one.

Comment

My favorite is the ladder stand that can be left permanently. I feel safer with those than anything I have tried. However it is not very portable. I'd like the cost low enough so I can put up multiple stands or carry the ladder to a new location easily. I hunt a lot of pine trees in the south and have used a climber instead because of portability. They don't work so well on big elm and cottonwoods in the Midwest. It also has to be tall enough to reach a high stand. Deer in the mountains look up.

Comment

SDWH,
              If your design is similar to the steel screw in steps then take out plenty of insurance on your future product.
              Some hunters have slipped and fell with steel screw in steps tearing into their body on the way down.
              I like the strap on climbing sticks.
              Good Luck!

Comment

We have been in early discussions on the ways we could improve ladder systems and have already thrown a ton of crap up on the whiteboard. I think that one will be a fun second project and no doubt there can be improvements. Especially without adding costs.

Right now we're focused on getting this tree step launched to fix a couple key misses in current offerings.

1) you're going to be able to install a lot easier.
                2) we solve concerns over leaving a stand in the field with a quick detach system. It doesn't make the stand impossible to steal but definitely have to work for it.
                3) the tread and size of the step is infinitely better than a steel screw in step at much lower weight. The improvement in footing should be incredible.
                4) Cost. Even with the added benefits, we're able to use what we've done all our working lives to keep the cost dang near the price of steel screw in steps.

Now I'm 100% aware it's still a tree step and not near the safe and ease of climbing a ladder. But I can say we feel we've got some sweet concepts for ladder setups that might have a huge impact as well. Stay tuned, I'll have a website for you guys to check out before long.

Comment

Spacing always seems to be an issue with the screw in steps, it seems like it's always further down the tree to the next step than you thought it should be. Even though going up was a breeze.

If you own the property you hunt, you may want to leave your stand out year round, a step that wouldn't be grown into the tree and lost forever without the use of a chainsaw would be nice. Something easy enough to remove without leaving a ton of hardware in the tree. If you know any guys with a sawmill or tree cutters, ask them what a piece of steel will do to their equipment.

Comment

I would like to see some tree steps that have better traction in wet or icy weather, but also quiet. Wider too, with most of those steps I can hardly feel if my boot is on them squarely in the dark, speaking of dark, how about a luminescent stripe or dot on them, would make getting in and out in the dark a little easier.

Comment

Sorry I have never used screw in steps,All my two man tree Stands have a ladder So not to harm the Trees.

Comment

Now that's smart right there VA sport! (luminescent strips!!)Although I argue that in just lacross rubber boots I can tell all too well my foot is on a narrow screw in peg, they cut into your sole quite harshly.

Comment

Now that's smart right there VA sport! (luminescent strips!!)Although I argue that in just lacross rubber boots I can tell all too well my foot is on a narrow screw in peg, they cut into your sole quite harshly.

Comment

vasport I think you're going to love our version then. Everything you started with is covered in our design. On the luminescent part we had discussed 2 different things, 1) making the tree steps in a color that stands out really well against the red lights you can get in headlamps or flashlights, or like you said, something luminescent. Both are achievable and we're continuing to look into options.

Comment

Sounds great SD, look forward to hearing more about it, and good luck with your project!

Thanks Pray, I have heavier soles on my boots I guess and am always second guessing my footholds!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad