Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do ya'll think about Michigan's wolf management program. More specifically the hunting season that has been recently implem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do ya'll think about Michigan's wolf management program. More specifically the hunting season that has been recently implem

What do ya'll think about Michigan's wolf management program. More specifically the hunting season that has been recently implemented? Is anyone getting involved in it? From what I hear the harvest numbers are going to be very low (per design). There are a couple resources I have been looking at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxaYMrwG3FI biggameforever.org

What do I think? I think it is premature and not needed. The wolf has barely begun to make progress back towards being a recovered species and now we are opening a season on them? It doesn't make sense to me in the least.

"Management" of predators is a misnomer anyway; predators don't need "management". Their numbers are directly related to the amount of prey available. The typical method of managing the ungulates such as deer and elk just do not equate over to a social pack animal like the wolf. When we bring in hunting for wolves, quite often there is a detrimental effect because the wolf packs are fractured causing the wolves to disperse and start new packs elsewhere.

There are a few other issues I have with this hunt as well; one of which is that the science just doesn't support this as being needed. Another issue is that the people of Michigan overwhelmingly voted against opening a wolf hunt. Finally, I have a problem with the ethics involved. As a bowhunter, I was taught not to kill an animal without a purpose. I know of no person that eats wolf, killing them is for one of two reasons: trophy or hatred. Make no bones about it, I find both reasons to be a sorry excuse for hunting such a magnificent animal.

I know this probably isn't the response you wanted but as a bowhunter, nature lover, and wolf lover, I cannot find any reason at all that justifies hunting wolves.

Comment

I have to disagree with you rcw3d. I respect your opinon but wolves are harvested for their pelts. Your right i dont know of anyone who eats them but there is a 'purpose' to harvesting them. There fur is thick and warm. Plus preadotors do need to be controlled. In ny coyotes have been a huge problem. But thats just my opinon.

Comment

I respect both your opinions! I think @rcw3d you are right when you ask the question what is the purpose. The ethical concern lies with whether or not wolves need to be managed at all. I think that the information is not clear as to the direct relationship between ungulates and wolves; as to whether or not wolves and ungulates can self regulate like nature intended. I know Isle Royal (an island up in the UP) is studied greatly because of the pristine nature of the wolf/moose habitat that is preserved there. But I think where ever humans have managed or changed the habitat with it comes great responsibility. Wolves should be closely monitored. Is management the best method of controlling them? Is it the only one? @MR AWESOME you also bring up a great point there are purposes other than trophy, for wolves. Their pelts are beautiful. There is a great benefit to managing wolf populations via hunting. Harvesting wolves for their pelts and for the trophy sport are just a couple. Appreciated reading what you guys had to say!

Comment

It seems the wolves are competing with hunters for the same game animals - therefore the wolves will lose.
          It is too late to leave things to nature, man has already influenced the 'balance' in a way that it will never be totally wild again.

Comment

I grew up in one of the counties open for the Michigan wolf season. My dad and uncle still live and hunt deer there. They have said that this year they have not seen a single fawn throughout summer, and my uncle has as many trail cam pics of wolves than he does of deer. Its one of those things that needs to be controled. Also, look at it from a financial stand point for the state- 1,200 permits at $100 for residents and $500 for non-residents. There is only a quota of 43 wolves. I don't think taking 43 wolves will do anything drastic to the wolf population, and hopefuly it will restore a little bit of balance for a better deer population.

Comment

I grew up in one of the counties open for the Michigan wolf season. My dad and uncle still live and hunt deer there. They have said that this year they have not seen a single fawn throughout summer, and my uncle has as many trail cam pics of wolves than he does of deer. Its one of those things that needs to be controled. Also, look at it from a financial stand point for the state- 1,200 permits at $100 for residents and $500 for non-residents. There is only a quota of 43 wolves. I don't think taking 43 wolves will do anything drastic to the wolf population, and hopefuly it will restore a little bit of balance for a better deer population.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad