Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why hasn't any gun makers comme out with more lever action calibers like the 308 and or 300 wsm's would sure make great rifles f

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why hasn't any gun makers comme out with more lever action calibers like the 308 and or 300 wsm's would sure make great rifles f

why hasn't any gun makers comme out with more lever action calibers like the 308 and or 300 wsm's would sure make great rifles for backwoods and pack enough punch for any game

Maybe it has already happened...

www.browning.com/products/catalog/family.asp?webflag_=003B

Comment

I know the browning blr model but I'm kind a hoping for a model like 1895 or winchester model 94 something compact but with a 200 yard capability without any adjustments. I like finding the game where it is swamps, thick brush or open fields and to me WSM's would be great for like the marlin big bore with 22 or 24 inch barrels

Comment

I found this year Buffalo bore ammo and the energy from this ammo is incredible. I use to own a Winchester 307 but got rid of it for its lack of punch but if I would get 307 with buffalo bore load similarities to the 308 they offer it would be a perfect gun for my needs. That's why the 308 Winchester in models like the marlin 336 or Winchester 94 would be a great choice with lever revolution ammmo by hornady make it all possible now

Comment

Tony,
          I think the Browning BLR is available in 7mmMag.
          The other rifles like Winchester and Marlin come in more powerful calibers - Try the Marlin 1895M in .450 Mag. If you need more power than that you are hunting Bigfoot or something from another planet.

Comment

Well no bigfoot yet ! Its mostly moose and black bear, but as I said I like finding them where they are I don't have the patience to sit in a stand all day. Last year I spooked a nice bull and followed him into a clear cut but was to far for my old 303 I would never take a shot if I wasn't sure its deadly but 250 and 300 yards are common. so thats why Im looking into something for those shots and for heavy cover that only give you moving shots.

Comment

300yds on a moose or bear is the outer edge of what a lever gun is suitable for distance and accuracy wise.
              I think you should be considering a bolt action, 22" barrel, 30-06 type firearm with 165gr to 180gr bullets. You can go up a little or down a little on the power scale, but a bolt action with a good 3-9 scope will work fine for you from 0yds out to 300yds.

Comment

The Blr is available in many modern cartridges including standard and magnum cartridges. It has a very strong lever action.

Comment

Yes i do like the BLR action, my friend has a blr 300 wsm and its a beauty I just think it would be nice to have a handy rifle like the 336 or win 94 model in those calibers. But that's just my wishful thinking.

Comment

A carbine sized rifle in the .300 WSM will likely send you back to your dentist to replace the fillings that it jarred loose. The 336 and 94 actions are not strong enough for 65,000 psi cartridges either. Anything less than a 24 inch barrel just makes the WSMs loud cannons with a lot of velocity loss.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Another New Upper
                      by jhjimbo
                      I have heard certain powder kernel shapes are more abrasive than others on the rifling. Maybe that kind should be used to keep the carbon from forming....
                      Today, 02:24 PM
                    • Another New Upper
                      by DakotaMan
                      Milldawg inspired me so I finished my new 6mm AR upper as a Covid time killer project. I had made a 6mm Creedmoor with an 8 twist Bartlein barrel for...
                      Today, 12:54 PM
                    • Reply to 16 Years
                      by Ontario Honker Hunter
                      Pighunter: Someone on here some years back made a big deal about being Jewish and not caring for Christian morality shoved in his face. I couldn't remember...
                      Today, 02:22 PM
                    • 16 Years
                      by jhjimbo
                      So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                      Yesterday, 09:20 PM
                    • Reply to Another New Upper
                      by DakotaMan
                      I haven't tried the 6.5 Grendel PH. It is a pretty powerful close range cartridge for its size but it isn't fast enough with those heavier bullets to...
                      Today, 02:20 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X