Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baiting is legal in my state. I know an owner of a bakery who gives me all his old bakery items during the fall to bait deer and

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baiting is legal in my state. I know an owner of a bakery who gives me all his old bakery items during the fall to bait deer and

Baiting is legal in my state. I know an owner of a bakery who gives me all his old bakery items during the fall to bait deer and bears. My question is are rolls, bagels, donuts, pies , cakes, bread, cinnamon buns and other bakery items bad for bear, deer, raccoons and other wildlife to eat? I know it isn’t healthy for people to eat too much junk food. I don’t want to hurt wildlife with sweets during my two month baiting period.

I would think introducing a foreign food would not be good on their digestive system.

Comment

Jay, thank you for your opinion and that is a good point. +1

Natural Foods in Nature;
      1. Corn
      2. Apples
      3. Fish
      4. Honey
      5. Potatoes (white & sweet)
      6. A road kill carcass
      7. Pumpkins

Foreign Foods;
      1. Dry Dog Food
      2. Bakery Items
      3. Peanut Butter
      4. Caramel molasses
      5. Syrup
      6. Bird Seed
      7. Strawberry Licorice Twizzlers

Comment

If you are baiting an animal you intend to kill, you need not be worrying about shortening its days with junk food.
        It's like sterilizing the lethal injection needle on death row.

Comment

if you are trying to bear hunt, i would dig a hole about 3 feet deep, and about 6 feet around, and fill it with bakery items. donuts, cakes, candy corn, molasses, corn syrup, ect. just like humans, wildlife love sweets too. also, it would only harm wildlife, if their diet constantly only consisted of sweets, as in the only thing they ever ate was cakes and stuff of that sort. so if you were to bait with sweets and junk once a day, for 2 months, they are only gonna eat what you put out that day, along with grass and hay, out of hay fields, and any other natural foods they eat. so one treat a day, along with natual foods, that are healthy such as all the green stuff they eat, wouldnt really harm them at all. animals are just like humans, to much junk and sweets, are bad, but if we eat junks and sweets, then go eat a salad afterwards, our bodies are perfectly healthy for that matter. so really they are just getting a treat, witch i dont know for sure, but it might bring them in more and more, because if i got a free treat everyday, i sure would come back each day, one after the other.

Comment

The only problem that I see is you are conditioning wild animals that the bakery leftovers are ok to eat no matter where they my be. When a bear gets a whiff of a box of doughnuts at a job site or what have you, they will assume it is ok to go and feast. I for one am not a fan, but to each his own.

Comment

IND_NRA, putting out donuts for black bears would also put the police in danger at all the donut shops across this country.

Jerry holding the Pronghorn Antelope profile, I'm only kidding!!!

Don't jump me, for joking about the police like last time. LOL
              BTW, I have two family members who wear a badge.

Comment

It certainly is not good for wildlife to fill up on low-nutrient foods when they need a high level of nutrition (not just carbohydrates) going into the winter. And there will be animals feeding on your bait besides the ones you shoot. Another thing to consider is that acclimating animals such as bears to human food can lead to them moving into populated areas searching for more of it, exposing them to more danger of being hit by vehicles or shot as nuisance animals.

Comment

Gary that is too funny. Logistically it would be a nightmare, but I have a refined palate that likes baked goods especially pies. Take care and good luck on those two big bears.

Comment

Gary,
                    Are you putting us on? You're baiting bears so that you can kill them and you're worried that you might be giving them a sweet tooth or spoiling their appetite? Are you giving them names too?

Comment

Safado, I don’t kill every wild animal that eats bakery items at my bait pile during my two months baiting period.

I was just wondering if sweets can caused any damage to "all" the wildlife eating from the bait pile.
                      I know it doesn't matter to the one bear that I harvest.

By the way, I did name the two big bears eating at my bait pile during the night hourss.
                      I named them “The Heavy Weights”.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad