Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elk trip is over. Quick story on first post

Elk trip is over. Quick story on first post

After an interesting bow season filled with extremely close encounters without an oppurtunity for a clean shot I went back to the same area with a cow elk tag. 2 weeks in the area set me up with knowledge of the area and how the elk would react to opening day. I set up on a ridge overlooking a valley and othe ridges with a good friend of mine. We started glassing at sun up, then the shooting started. The elk ran right to where we knew they would pass thru. I verified the range and did some ballistic calculations, held, put some tension on the trigger and click. I forgot to load a round in the chamber lol. Well once I had my wits and my head out of my fourth point of contact I got a new range loaded a round and fired. This time hearing a loud boom followed by a thwack. Once I was back on her she was down. We worked out a plan to go get her (easier said than done) Once we walked over to her location I found that she had moved another 75 yds or so after she dropped, next time I will probably shoot again, tough animals, I got lucky she was easy too track, we found her laying in the evergreens. The 300 wby with a 200 grain accubond with a zeiss scope ,steiner binos and leupold rangefinder all came together for a very nice shot on an amazing animal. Pack out was utter hell 1 1/2 mile each way, but thats what we do. I posted 2 pics on my profile.
    BTW keep those blasted Havalon knives away from your hand, I should have gotten stitches but tape works ok I guess.

Comment

Sounds like a neat trip. And just curious what range was she at?

Comment

Congrats! Bon appetit!

Comment

Congrats on your cow elk and I agree with you elk are tough animals.

Comment

Congratulations on your hard work paying off!

Comment

Nice ... That's awesome. I can only hope for a future destination hunt. Elk and moose are high on the list

Comment

Awesome..What's next...Moose!

Comment

Hengst,
                  Nice elk.
                  In regards to the cut,in the absence of stitches, use a butterfly type tape to hold the edges as close together as possible. Keep it clean and dry.

Comment

Thanks

MAT the shot was far, I was very confident that I could make a clean shot and I did. I set myself up on the ridge to guarantee a shot. Just trying to stay away from debates.

Treestand next trip? I am stubborn same place next year with my bow, I have a date with a big 6x6 that I am sure escaped into an area most won't go. Eventually caribou or muskox depending on the finance ministers backing

jhjimbo, spot on with the butterfly or even steri strips. Just can't be a dumba>> and have to actually carry them. Lesson learned, again

Comment

We keep Super Glue at camp. Works great for cuts. A variation of it is what is used in Hospital Emergency rooms. I cut my hand bad and it stopped the bleeding by closing the cut right now.

Comment

Congratulations. Great photo also.

Comment

Hengst,
                          I wasn't trying to start debates. I believe if you're perfectly confident you can take the shot then do it.

Comment

No shame in shooting a cow. I shot lots of them. Generally better eating than bulls (but not always!). Would like to hear how you got it out.

Comment

OH, I am sold on cow elk, no rack/cape to lug out just 2 little ivories lol.
                              Basically did the "gutless" method but stripped down a bunch of really good meat from the brisket, neck etc )probably ticked the crows off). Then in hindsight I thought heck no and gutted her in order to get to a very nice heart and the liver (family likes both) Snow was on the ground and it was right at 25 warming up to 30-32 degrees. After getting the meat into game bags in the shade the 2 of us put the quarters in the pack frames and walked the just over 1 1/2 mile out. We went back and uncovered the remaining sacks out of the snow and went out again. We could have made 3 trips easy with all of the meat but we got "lazy" and just packed the rest on the last trip so we wouldn't have to go back, legs were screamin'. It was a tough go of it but definately doable, and will be repeated next year

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad