Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trip update. See first comment.

Trip update. See first comment.

I flubbed on my email setup but it is working now: [email protected] I hope to hear from Ontario and possibly meet in Montana. Pls advise at this address (and anyone else who is in the area of Basin Montana).

My heart sank last weekend when I detected a tracking issue with the used Vortex Viper PST FFP 6-24x50 scope I bought on gunbroker.com a couple months ago (probably why the seller got rid of it). I called Vortex on Monday (the day before I left) to see if they could do anything.

I had the best customer service call of my life with them. They acted like they were concerned family members. They said they would pull all the stops to get that scope back on my rifle for my first elk shot. They said they would have a technician on reserve awaiting its arrival. It arrived at Vortex late Wed and I got a call from them immediately. They had received and inspected it and were overnighting a new scope to me immediately. I expect to get it in South Dakota today and will get it mounted and zeroed later today with a little luck.

I've been scrounging components for my .300 Dakota since January preparing for this hunt and have been woefully short of ammo. I stopped at every Bass Pro, Cabellas, Shiels and gun shop between Atlanta and South Dakota looking for ammo components. I found one box of 210g Bergers in a gun store in Tennessee and CCI magnum rifle primers in Omaha. I still haven't found Varget powder but will continue to search across South Dakota and Montana. I now have enough ammo to fine tune my 1000 yard shooting as final preparation. I needed to get somewhere with thousand yard visibility so I could perform a final synch of my loads, ballistics software and rangefinder without the muzzle brake.

Comment

Relax, have a hunch your elk hunting success will depend more on good legs, good shoes, and a good area, than 1000 yard shots. Best Of Luck, and enjoy the hunt.

Comment

Happy

Reminds me of the two clowns sighting in there 300 Weatherby's at 400 for a sheep hunt. I told them to sight in at 200 or 250, but no, they sighted in at 400 and came home empty handed and no ammunition. The sheep they jumped where at 200 to 250 yards at a minus 45 degree angle. I figured the bullet was at least 6 inches high and they instinctively held high after the first missed shot.

Ya' just can't fix stupid!

Comment

there is the reason i always rave about vortex!!!!! they have by far the greatest customer service i have ever seen with an outdoor company!! good luck on getting resighted in and have a great hunt!

Comment

Dakota, I sent a e-mail to you to see if I could get it to work. I did not hear back from you, but it was not returned either. It seemed like it did work. OH and PHW were trying to get to you. Hope you get the scope in time and good luck. Jim

Comment

I'll resend my message right now. Dakota, you should be able to find that powder in Billings, MT. If your taking I-90 you should be going through there. I believe it's still the largest city in Montana. Bozeman also has a heap of outdoors outlets.

Comment

Ontario,
                I had a great Montana pheasant hunt. Missed a few birds but limited out every day.

Comment

Dakota, best of luck on your hunt. I hope the big bull shows well inside of your 1000 yd. range. Sounds like the customer service from Vortex was v.good.

Comment

Good luck, Dakota!

Comment

I admire your optimism in buying a used scope on the eve of an important hunting trip.
                      I wish you the best of luck with Vortex and success on the trip.

Comment

Dakota- I sent you an email with my contact info in the event you're in the area or in need. No need to reply as I'm sure you're busy. Best of luck again. I on the contrary hope he's at 1000 yds and an absolute monster. I'm sure you're interest would be equally as peaked by that. Safe travels.

Comment

Well it sounds like a fun adventure already. Never a dull moment on an elk hunt.
                          I am going to agree with Happy Myles. A lot of times 1000yds line of sight means a couple hour walk in mountain country. Not to mention the fun of figuring out where the animal was when you get there.
                          Best of the hunt to you!

Comment

Thanks to all for best wishes.

I did receive an email from P-H-W but have no emails yet from others. I'll check my new email whenever I get a chance.

Happy, I have no doubt that you are very correct and appreciate your advice. If there are no elk in the area, I will have to relocate. I will hunt as hard as my 65 year old bones will let me as I know the elk will not likely come looking for me. I'm doing a do-it-yourself hunt so I will be doing the hunting rather than paying my well-experienced guide to point one out to me. My chances of getting an elk are much reduced as a result, especially since I only have a few days to find Montana, set up camp and hunt. I expect to hunt my best without having a heart attack but will enjoy the adventure immensely even if I never see an elk.

Since I was a little kid, my dad emphasized being well prepared and for me that involved being prepared to shoot effectively at ranges and in conditions far beyond what the typical hunter was doing. If I get a close shot at game I take it and sincerely hope I can drop an elk within 50 yards of my truck. If I see an elk or a deer at longer range, I am prepared to take a good shot if conditions are right. One important aspect of those conditions is whether I can recover and haul the animal out. Unlike Clay's bozos, I do know when to aim high or low and when to hold my fire.

99, although I AM an optimistic person, I don't consider myself to be foolhardy. I'm using the new scope if possible because of its exceptional reticle features. I have two similar backup scopes that are well tested and ready to go if necessary. I am shooting about 100 rounds with this new scope, mostly at long range to qualify it. So far it is passing the tests but I have two more days of shooting to do before I know for sure. Of course I also have a backup rifle in case of any issues with my primary rifle.

Thanks again to all!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Rip -rbg
                              by FirstBubba
                              At 82, the gummint could kiss my grits! I'd be "outta" there!
                              Devoting your life to the law is one thing. RBG gave up eternity....
                              Today, 04:57 PM
                            • Rip -rbg
                              by fitch270
                              2020 adding to it's bag of tricks....
                              09-18-2020, 09:26 PM
                            • Reply to Bad news on the COVID-19 front
                              by 99explorer
                              They say pandemic denial is a good short term mechanism for coping.
                              And a good campaign strategy for reelecting an incompetent president.
                              Today, 04:57 PM
                            • Bad news on the COVID-19 front
                              by Ontario Honker Hunter
                              New cases and hospitalizations ballooned this week in several states including Texas, Oklahoma, California, and Mississippi. Hospitals in Houston are...
                              06-24-2020, 08:09 PM
                            • Reply to The End
                              by crm3006
                              No more phony stories, no more braggadocio, no more talking down to those you perceive to be intellectually inferior or have less of your vaunted and...
                              Today, 04:56 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X