Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What position do you shoot from most when big game hunting. And if you do shoot rested what type of rest do you shoot from i.e.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .30-06Hunter
    replied
    I generally shoot unsupported from a seated position since I usually hunt from a tree stand or ground blind. When time permits I wrap the sling once around my arm to steady the gun. Always good to practice for what you expect to encounter.

Leave a comment:

• Montana
    replied
    I am a spot and stalk style hunter, I try to take the best shot possible from the best possible position given the situation. Sometimes this means shooting offhand which I would not be comfortable doing without the practice I do in the off season. Ideally I would like to take most shots from the prone position using my pack as a rest. I have taken to carrying a set of varmint hunting sticks with my while I hunt, makes for a good solid rest when lying down isn't practical. I have shot deer, elk, antelope, coyotes, prairie dogs and various other varmints from various positions. My advice is the practice for every possible scenario, yes it takes lots of ammo and lots of time but in the end it will make you a more comfortable and competent marksman or markswoman.

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    I use rocks, backpack or a Trigger Stick as a rest. The two legged Trigger Stick is one of the best inventions I've seen for long range shooting. It is light and easy to carry yet solid as a rock.

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied
    I use a rest when possible but over half the shots are offhand unsupported while stalking.

Leave a comment:

• M.A.T
    replied
    Thanks for all the answers guys.

Leave a comment:

• Hobob
    replied
    I hunt tree stands and on the ground. If possible I use a tree trunk,rest or Limb. If on the ground the "rice paddy squat is my preferred style if I'm not near a rest such as a tree trunk. I always prefer something to brace on or against.

Leave a comment:

• chuckles
    replied
    I hunt out of natural ground blinds that I build into blow downs, evergreen trees, etc. I sit semi-reclined in my turkey chair and shoot my crossbow and my rifles off a mono-pod or an elbow resting on a knee.
    All of my hunting takes place at very close range. Just as an example, I took a doe on Friday night at 15' with the crossbow. She knew something was up but couldn't quite tell what I was.
    I enjoyed the hiking and tracking style of hunting when I lived in Colorado but in the MN brush it is an ambush game for sure.

Leave a comment:

• WILLHAM48
    replied
    I mostly deer hunt out of ladder stands, so off of a shooting rail, usually.

Leave a comment:

• Happy Myles
    replied
    II have never hunted big game in North America from a blind, nor have I used used a prefabricated rest. Therefore, I practice weekly all positions from standing to prone. I automatically glance for a rest, tree limb or rock. If no time, which is often, it has to be off hand. That is why I practice that position the most. Always use a rest if you can. My last sheep I placed my cowboy hat on a rock for a rest and popped a nice ram at 300 yards. In Africa your PH will insist you use sticks so practice before you go. Get three pieces of PVC and tie them with surgical tubing. Do not take any prefabs with you, the local will want to use his homemade ones. A tip. If you can, find a rest for the elbow of your trigger hand. Shooting off the sticks, ask your tracker or PH to bend a bit and rest your trigger elbow on his shoulder. It really steadies the the shot off the sticks.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    I should clarify. I was always a tracker, not a still hunter. Dragging shooting sticks around with me was not a realistic option. I do not condemn those who still hunt out of tree stands or blinds but it was not my method. Had it been, I'm sure I would have had a permanent rest at hand for shooting.

Leave a comment:

• scratchgolf72
    replied
    standing, gun against a tree.

Leave a comment:

• themadflyfisher
    replied
    I usually shoot from a standing position. I try to get a rest against a tree or something but sometimes that's just not possible. If I'm sitting against a tree looking over a hillside or bottom I usually rest my elbows against my knees.

Leave a comment:

• rfleer87
    replied
    Ladder Stand has a shooting rail that is padded.
    Ground Hunting, i use a shooting stick which is a bi pod.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Box blind has a bench and bags.
    Ladder stand has a shooting rail. (wooden)
    Pop-up blind has a shooting stick inside.
    Games gotta be awful close for me to shoot off hand.

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    I hunt out of a Two man Tree stand with my rifle resting on the padded shooting rail, when on the ground and still hunting, I use Quake Claw Folding Sling Stix or a tree.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad