Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What position do you shoot from most when big game hunting. And if you do shoot rested what type of rest do you shoot from i.e.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use a rest when possible but over half the shots are offhand unsupported while stalking.
    Trump 2020 - Keep America Great!

Comment

I use rocks, backpack or a Trigger Stick as a rest. The two legged Trigger Stick is one of the best inventions I've seen for long range shooting. It is light and easy to carry yet solid as a rock.

Comment

I am a spot and stalk style hunter, I try to take the best shot possible from the best possible position given the situation. Sometimes this means shooting offhand which I would not be comfortable doing without the practice I do in the off season. Ideally I would like to take most shots from the prone position using my pack as a rest. I have taken to carrying a set of varmint hunting sticks with my while I hunt, makes for a good solid rest when lying down isn't practical. I have shot deer, elk, antelope, coyotes, prairie dogs and various other varmints from various positions. My advice is the practice for every possible scenario, yes it takes lots of ammo and lots of time but in the end it will make you a more comfortable and competent marksman or markswoman.

Comment

I generally shoot unsupported from a seated position since I usually hunt from a tree stand or ground blind. When time permits I wrap the sling once around my arm to steady the gun. Always good to practice for what you expect to encounter.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Presidential Debate
            by 99explorer
            I think we are going to see Trump debating the Moderator on the choice of topics.
            Today, 12:44 PM
          • Presidential Debate
            by jhjimbo
            Mark your calendar, Tuesday, 29th from The Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio. Sleepy Joe and Donald Trump. Get your popcorn ready for the show.
            09-24-2020, 08:40 AM
          • Americans
            by Danbo
            https://twitter.com/guntalk/status/1...662503424?s=21

This link doesn't scare me I'm proud Black Americans are recognizing...
            Today, 12:40 PM
          • Reply to Presidential Debate
            by jhjimbo
            Bidens wife is a Psych Dr. so I think she will have him on some drugs.

BTW, I did not use my stimulus so I am donating it to candidates....
            Today, 12:39 PM
          • Reply to Trump
            by 99explorer
            In years gone by, elections were run in a gentlemanly fashion, with the candidates comparing party platforms and arguing which course was better....
            Today, 12:37 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X