Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm heading for Montana tomorrow for my bucket list elk hunt. Taking a few days in South Dakota to pick up horses and a new sadd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm heading for Montana tomorrow for my bucket list elk hunt. Taking a few days in South Dakota to pick up horses and a new sadd

I'm heading for Montana tomorrow for my bucket list elk hunt. Taking a few days in South Dakota to pick up horses and a new saddle. The Berger bullets that I ordered in June never made it so I will only have a couple of bullets for long shots. Can't wait for the adventure of a lifetime. I'll miss the dialog here for the next few weeks but really look forward to the Rockies. Anyone else heading to a big hunt soon?

Good luck, Dakota. We expect stories of adventure on your return. Be safe.

Comment

Dakota- Best of luck to you. As buck hunter said, an adventure story would be awesome upon your return. If you need any help in your travels, were just outside of Douglas,Wy and will do what we can. Congrats on the trip!!

Comment

Best of luck Dakota, I'll be headed to elk camp here in a couple of weeks. Hunt hard and be safe, happy trails.

Comment

Dakota, if you need my help I'll give you my cell number. I should be there by 25th or so. I hope. If nothing else, I can help you drink some beer at the Mint Bar. Almost every town in Montana has a Mint Bar. Must have been a franchise at one time? Where exactly will you be?

Comment

Heading to Colorado tomorrow, north of Grand Junction. Best of luck to all.

Comment

Good Luck too all on your Hunts, Shoot Straight and Hunt Safe,return with Grand Stories.

Comment

Thanks to all for the wishes! Best of luck to you Montana and WAM on your hunts! Be safe and have fun! WAM, I especially want to thank you for your advice on reading the Laubach & Hinkle books. They answered so many of my questions on what to expect in that beautiful country. They also made me even more aware of just how much I have to learn. I can't wait to get started and thank all for the great advice.

OH, the first beer is on me! I'll be hunting about 10 miles southwest of Basin, Montana (between Butte and Helena). I should be there by the 23rd at least to set up camp and get the horses settled. I'll put up a big tent and stay for a week or two depending on weather and luck. You or anyone else can reach me at DakotaMan300 at yahoo dot com. I would thoroughly enjoy meeting any of the great members of this forum.
                Best regards to all!

Comment

p-h-w, thanks much for the offer. I would be honored to pay you a visit at your new spread! I'll have to check the map though. Since I'll be trailering horses a long way, I try to make it easy on them and get them to green pastures quickly. Best regards!

Comment

My big trip will be to the river this year! LOL!
                    Actually, I'm stashing back coins for another trip to Kodiak for salmon and halibut.
                    But DakotaMan, best wishes! Successful or not, have a good trip!

Comment

DakotaMan- sorry for such a last minute question, but are all of your horses travel papers in order? I.E. coggins, brand inspection etc? These western states can be sticklers on horse papers.

Comment

Dakota have a great time, be careful and I wish you luck.

My big game hunt this year will be the New Jersey black bear, again.
                        There are a few big bruisers out there but they are nocturnal creatures of the night.
                        My trail camera does better then my shotgun slug and gets a four hundred pound bears every night.

I’m hoping for real cold weather. It should get the boars up to feed during day light hours before they go into hibernation.

Comment

Good luck. An elk hunt is truly one of the most enjoyable, tiring, nerve testing, and rewarding trip you can go on. We are taking the dogs to South Dakota in December on a pheasant hunt. We had to skip the Colorado elk trip this year (couldn't pay for both).

Comment

Hope you have a good hunt.

Comment

Congratulations on taking a dream hunt, and good luck!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad