Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

inspired by the question below, what do you think is the scariest sound in the woods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DakotaMan
    replied
    Gary, a most interesting movie... thanks for suggesting that! I have never heard of it. My wolves didn't act that way at all. My first impression of them when they got within three feet was that they are SO much larger than zoo wolves or those we have seen in cinema. Something like 3 or 4 times the size of those depicted in the movie.

I will never forget thinking when the first one got within two feet, "Oh my God! This one could carry me in his jaws and still run 25 miles per hour!" They also all crowded in a tight circle around us. None of them was ever further than 10 yards or so. There was always one or two that were within five feet. The snarl on the angry one in the movie looked pretty familiar though. I saw lots of those! I really never expected to survive as it took place. Believe it or not though, my biggest anxiety that night was after they had left while anticipating their return. Anticipation can allow our minds to take us far beyond the horrors of reality some times.

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    Your story will always be tops in any discussion of hunting adventure. How did you over come it and how did you survive? Leopards are SO deadly that you must be one of the few on the planet that has lived to tell about it.

I spent the most fascinating day of my life listening to another safari hunter describe his adventures. His most riveting story was of his leopard attack... His attack however did not result in puncture wounds. Please tell us your story... please!

Leave a comment:

• vasportsman
    replied
    Scariest I ever heard was opening day of muzzleloader halloween morning, right at first light a very large group or coyotes howled all together at once, chilling to be sure, guy I was hunting with thought someone was playing a prank with some loudspeakers.

Scariest thing I have ever read though, Dakota's post!

Leave a comment:

• Happy Myles
    replied
    My scream, when a leopard bit me completely through my left shoulder....

Leave a comment:

• Chewylouie
    replied
    Bobcat scream or someone shooting close by that doesn't know you are there.

Leave a comment:

• country road
    replied
    The man who sneaks up under your stand and says, "I'm from the Internal Revenue Service and I'm here to help you."

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    A sudden loud rattle close by.

Leave a comment:

• themadflyfisher
    replied
    Dakotaman- I couldn't imagine being in that situation!

The woods definitely have some creepy sounds, especially when you're alone and it's dark.

Leave a comment:

• scratchgolf72
    replied
    probably when your walking into the stand before light, and there is a fog with a light rain coming down. its and eerie feeling.

Leave a comment:

• RockySquirrel
    replied
    The scariest sound in the woods in order:
    I thought you had the keys?
    Hey it is almost getting dark, which way to the truck?
    Did that sound like a rattlesnake to you?
    Compass?? I thought you brought your GPS.
    Does this look like the Lyme disease mark?
    My leg, I think I broke it? Can you go for help?
    I think I cut/shot/burnt myself bad. We need help.
    My chest really hurts, bad. I think I am going to pass out.

And the #1 scariest sound: "Oh God, not now. Please not now, not alone"

Leave a comment:

• Grassroots89
    replied
    That lion part reminds me of a movie with Robert Duvall and Michael Caine i've seen a few times. And what do you have against Texas OH?

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Grizzly bears fighting is really something. Listened to it on almost a daily basis when the salmon were running. Could hear them slapping each other a half mile away.

Back home in Montana there was a roadside zoo adjacent to the fields where I hunted geese. In the mornings the male lion would roar spectacularly at daybreak. I think it could be heard for miles. Awesome noise! The highway was relocated and the zoo went bust. They sold the lion to a rich Texas slob who shot it to mount for his collection. Only in Texas!

Screech owl scream is really frightening. Mostly because it doesn't sound anything like an owl or a bird. Same with bullbat's (whippoorwill) holler. Hard to believe such an awful noise comes out of a bird that size.

Leave a comment:

• RJ Arena
    replied
    I got a complaint about an alligator one morning, not unusual, most turned out to be under 3 foot and harmless, I went down to the reported location of the gator and around the corner of a clump of saw grass I heard the hiss of the largest gator I ever saw in person, not unlike looking down the barrel of a 12 gauge and thinking those barrels were 3 ft across, that gator looked about 20 ft. long! I jumped he dove into the water, I got out of there quick and called our local trapper. When he was caught later that day he was a tad over 12 foot.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    The scariest for me is a woman yelling, don't forget to take the trash out. Or did I just imagine that - mind playing tricks on me, back to hunting.

Leave a comment:

• NM
    replied
    When everything goes completely quiet.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad