Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

inspired by the question below, what do you think is the scariest sound in the woods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• inspired by the question below, what do you think is the scariest sound in the woods?

inspired by the question below, what do you think is the scariest sound in the woods?

"Squeal, Boy!"

"Ah want to hear you squeal like a pig!"

Or whatevva, from Deliverance.

Comment

My two cousins and I separated and walked into the woods early morning with flashlights. We were heading into our tree stands during the archery season. I heard this horrible screaming sound above me. I shined my light up in the tree and saw a great horned owl up on a tree branch. He continued to scream as I walked away. Maybe the owl was looking for a mate.

When I went back to the vehicle at lunch time my cousins were talking about that scary sound that morning. They had no idea what it could be. My cousin Glenn said it sound like an animal or person dying.
      We all laughed about afterwards when I told them it was just a big old horned owl.

Comment

For me it was the sound of about 25 wolves snarling in a feeding frenzy as they circled my tent. I did not expect to survive the attack and it seemed that they were trying to outdo each other in scaring the daylights out of me while they were attacking. This took place way up in northern Manitoba where the wolves had probably never seen a human... fortunately they had no idea how tasty I was. As a result, my buddy and I, standing back-to-back were able to fend them off by hitting them in the nose with sticks as they attacked repeatedly over a half hour period of time. That was long ago but I can still remember those snarls vividly.

Comment

Dakotaman, click on the link below. It is a video from the 1966 movie called "The Trap".

Oliver Reed is bleeding after getting caught in one of his own traps. Fast forward the video by moving the little circle to the right. Stop it at 1:00:55 when the trapper Oliver Reed hears the first wolf howl. An awesome wolf attack scene with the trapper Oliver Reed getting attacked by a pack of wolves.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvYlJITCpZU

Comment

My brother and I walked up on a week old gut pile from a buddy of ours' elk and just as we got within 50ish yards THREE bears just started brawling over the gut pile. That sound, at five minutes til dark, seven miles back into the wilderness, will haunt your dreams lol.

Comment

I walked into a couger's fresh kill and disturbed dinner. That cat let out with a bone-chilling scream, that just telling of it, still gives me shiver's. I walked backward's thru the timber for quite some way's. Eventually I gave it up for the day's hunt. That cat rattled me to much to concentrate on deer hunting.

Comment

When everything goes completely quiet.

Comment

The scariest for me is a woman yelling, don't forget to take the trash out. Or did I just imagine that - mind playing tricks on me, back to hunting.

Comment

I got a complaint about an alligator one morning, not unusual, most turned out to be under 3 foot and harmless, I went down to the reported location of the gator and around the corner of a clump of saw grass I heard the hiss of the largest gator I ever saw in person, not unlike looking down the barrel of a 12 gauge and thinking those barrels were 3 ft across, that gator looked about 20 ft. long! I jumped he dove into the water, I got out of there quick and called our local trapper. When he was caught later that day he was a tad over 12 foot.

Comment

Grizzly bears fighting is really something. Listened to it on almost a daily basis when the salmon were running. Could hear them slapping each other a half mile away.

Back home in Montana there was a roadside zoo adjacent to the fields where I hunted geese. In the mornings the male lion would roar spectacularly at daybreak. I think it could be heard for miles. Awesome noise! The highway was relocated and the zoo went bust. They sold the lion to a rich Texas slob who shot it to mount for his collection. Only in Texas!

Screech owl scream is really frightening. Mostly because it doesn't sound anything like an owl or a bird. Same with bullbat's (whippoorwill) holler. Hard to believe such an awful noise comes out of a bird that size.

Comment

That lion part reminds me of a movie with Robert Duvall and Michael Caine i've seen a few times. And what do you have against Texas OH?

Comment

The scariest sound in the woods in order:
                          I thought you had the keys?
                          Hey it is almost getting dark, which way to the truck?
                          Did that sound like a rattlesnake to you?
                          Compass?? I thought you brought your GPS.
                          Does this look like the Lyme disease mark?
                          My leg, I think I broke it? Can you go for help?
                          I think I cut/shot/burnt myself bad. We need help.
                          My chest really hurts, bad. I think I am going to pass out.

And the #1 scariest sound: "Oh God, not now. Please not now, not alone"

Comment

probably when your walking into the stand before light, and there is a fog with a light rain coming down. its and eerie feeling.

Comment

Dakotaman- I couldn't imagine being in that situation!

The woods definitely have some creepy sounds, especially when you're alone and it's dark.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad