Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well guys, there are often times that questions asked here are pretty specific and don't get rewarded with an answer as a result

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Treestand
    replied
    Good Luck on your move...As for what Caliber to used on Elk, I'm sure the locals or Sport Shop will guide you to the best caliber to use.
    Happy Hunting.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Elk are a very social animal. That can be their downfall as they often wait and see what is following them. The exception was anything coming down from above usually made them bolt (perhaps because of cougars?). Now, mind you, my experience hunting elk predated the wolf recovery so maybe things are different now. When the snow hits elk like to feed on western slopes which are typically dryer and not as thick, but preferably near some low spot that will allow them to run over to the thick stuff on north or east slopes in a hurry. Stick to the ridges. You can cover more country quicker and quieter. Covering more territory increases your odds of hitting a track. I found that elk will usually hang to the lower parts of a mountain park when feeding and they almost always bed down there. If you see that elk have been feeding on an open hill during the night, expect that they are very likely bedded in the timber just below it. Know what is possible and what is not. Don't track an elk into an alder filled canyon if there's no reasonable prospect of getting it out of there. When hunting the high country watch the long term weather forecast. It can take several days to get an elk out even with horses and the best of conditions. I never had much luck hunting from horses but that's mostly because the country was too rugged. Get off the horse trails and you're more likely to get into the elk. Travel light but travel safe. I never packed stuff like hatchets and stoves when hunting on foot. I usually pushed the envelope with my feed so won't give you much advice there. Carnation Breakfast Bars were my mainstay but I don't think they make them any more. I ate a lot of snow rather than packing water. It never killed me.

There, that should give you something to start thinking about.

Leave a comment:

• Well guys, there are often times that questions asked here are pretty specific and don't get rewarded with an answer as a result

Well guys, there are often times that questions asked here are pretty specific and don't get rewarded with an answer as a result. Then, there are the vague ones, where the writer must assume we have an innate sense of understanding, that we generally do not. We'll I have faith in you, and I want to know about elk... I'm from Maine, moved to Wyoming, and plain old elk ignorant. It would be safe to say I can tell the difference from a bull and a cow, and an elk and a caribou. Much more than that would mean you're assuming too much. So please fellas, tell me what you know, from habitat, to favorite grub, lethal calibers or how to gut and hang em. Heck, I dont even know if they cook up the same as deer or moose. So roast me, degrade my intelligence and make me feel dumb, but tell me something important about the critter.

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad