Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to get a rifle that is basically a super rugged, really accurate, "long range" or short range, all purpose hunting rifle.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been doing some research, I was wondering about a savage hunting platform. It is a little cheaper and it sounds like a good platform. Any reasons I shouldn't?

Comment

I have a rifle that I think you described. I use a Sako A7 stainless in 300WSM with a Nikon Buckmaster 4X12X50 scope on it. Your choice of scope is up to you but the Nikon has served me extremely well on the rifle for years. My Sako is rugged and is super accurate and the 300WSM gives me the power and range I need for the animals that you listed. I reload so I can tailor my loads to the animal I hunt.

Comment

Sarge has an outstanding rifle there for your needs. His Sako A7 is a mighty fine rifle. It will cost more than the Remingtons but is a very fine rifle and well worth the extra cost if you can afford it. I used to favor the parent .300 Winny over the WSM case design but field experience is demonstrating that the WSM is actually a little more accurate and has slightly less recoil at the same bullet velocities. The short, fat WSM cartridge with the sharp shoulder angle provides an exceptionally consistent propellant burn from shot to shot and velocities that can exceed the parent cartridge.

I've been shooting the .300 Dakota which is slightly larger in capacity but has a case contour similar to the WSM. It has been exceptionally accurate for me. That being said, I have several friends who shoot the .300 Win Mag and we all consider it a top performer in 1000 yard accuracy. As a matter of fact, it performs so well, I'm not sure I achieved much accuracy improvement going to the .300 Dakota.

Sarge's Buckmaster is a good hunting scope but if you can afford the Nikon Monarch model, it will be even clearer. Take a look at them side by side. I've been very happy with my Monarch and will take it elk hunting next month. I also like the Vortex Viper for even better clarity and a wider field of view. Both are highly accurate and rugged.

Comment

Sounds like you are looking for a .300 Weatherby in an Accumark especially since you handload. With a 26" barrel it won't be light but it will be accurate and will have an all weather composite stock to satisfy the rugged part of your request. I would have recommended 30-06 but you already have one and want flat shooting. You should also look into the .270 and 7mm Weatherby Magnums. If you don't handload I'd look at the .300 Win Mag. Weatherby's are the fastest flat shooting calibers period with a few exceptions.

Comment

Savage has been coming on strong in the last few years, especially since their Accu-trigger. They have a model, I am sure would meet your requirements.
            There are just so many out there to choose from, try to pick up different makes and models and when you pick up the one for you , you will know it.
            Good luck.

Comment

You will probably be happy with the Savage. I personally don't like the sloppy feeling action on them however it is strong and actually moves to hold the case head perfectly every time. It also looks a little cheap with the Savage logo splashed on the bolt. The Accutrigger is very good. Its real benefit is that most are quite accurate and you can crank a new barrel on yourself to install a highly accurate premium barrel (e.g. Krieger, Shilen, Hart, Bartlien, etc.) if you want even more accuracy. You can also use multiple barrels so you can alter the cartridge you shoot from season to season.

Comment

You can discuss which rifle is best from now to infinity and never come to an agreement. This doesn't answer your ?, but I guess you keep shooting them all till you find the one which cut's, wraps and flash freezes as well. Excuse my sarcasm fellow's. I don't offer a magic answer, but I do believe you'll know it when you've discovered your rifle which suit's you best.I discovered mine with my .270 Remington.But I hunt locally where I live ( Oregon ) and hunting Roosevelt elk and blacktail's generally don't require distance shot's. At my age there's not enough time or energy left in me to hunt brown bears, cape buff. or other exotics. But if I did, I have every reason to believe my old .270, with good shot placement, would be up to the job. The only other rifle I would have considered would be the .30.06. It's a very versital rifle. Good luck to you in your search for your rifle!

Comment

I had my pet to the range today with some loads and found another faster load for my 300WSM with Hornady 165 grain Interlock bullets. The best part is that one of the loads with RL-22 is a 3/4 inch load which makes me real happy. My longest shot in my WV deer woods where I hunt is 175 yards and this is quite acceptable. Most of my shots are at 100 yards. The more I shoot my Sako the more I appreciate it.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad