Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to get a rifle that is basically a super rugged, really accurate, "long range" or short range, all purpose hunting rifle.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to get a rifle that is basically a super rugged, really accurate, "long range" or short range, all purpose hunting rifle.

I want to get a rifle that is basically a super rugged, really accurate, "long range" or short range, all purpose hunting rifle. It will be for deer, elk, hog, or really just about anything else I would hunt in that size range. I was thinking about using a Remington 700, and maybe a .300 WM. I will probably be reloading for this rifle. Any other suggestions. I also would like to know what is the most durable stock. This would range from really cold to really hot and really humid.

You really don't require a belted magnum for your needs. A .30-'06 or .280 will cover the spectrum you cited. I know it's difficult to narrow the field of choices, but have fun with that process, and best of luck in the field.

Comment

JMO~~ The Ruger American in 30/06 in the Weather all Stock and a Leupold "Rifleman" 3-9x40 Scope,
      This is the best all around Weather Combo/Cal.
      Happy Hunting.

Comment

first of all great choice on a great calibre. Cant say much for the remington never owned one. Just got a 300 win mag in Weatherby vangaard s2. Love it great all weather stock handles great and a wonderful trigger. I reload the Nosler 180 grain accubond and my dad reloads the Nosler Partition protected point. Both great bullets great penatration. We use IMR 4350 and it pushes either bullet out at 2900 fps on the chronograph I used a week ago. We use 68 grains. If you dont want a hell of a kick then a muzzle brake might be recommended it dropped the recoil to where my 13 year old son shoots it. However the 308 will work great for hogs deer and even elk out to 200 yards easier to shoot and reload. But hey thats my opinion

Comment

A .30-06 has a little more drop at the range I was thinking of, plus, I already have one. I want a gun that could kill game out to 300 or 400 yards without much ( 3 or 4 moa of adjustment if any), and target out to however far I could find a place to shoot. I did say "all purpose hunting" but I meant all purpose. Also, I am a redneck. I like magnums. The guns I shoot are the "big" calibers, 12Ga, 45, .30-06. Nothing wrong with the smaller ones, itis just that these are the ones that I own.

Comment

If you want to reach out a little more than a 30-06, get a 7mm Rem or Wby Mag. Still want a bigger bang, get a .300 WbyMag.
            Any of the major manufacturers have a stainless model in a synthetic stock.
            Still want more, look at the 7mmSTW or the .300 RemUltraMag.
            At this point remember, you burn a lot of powder to gain a few more FPS.
            Anything more would be seriously over gunned for what you mentioned.

Comment

I can offer two suggestions. If you are going to be a handloader, ditch the short-necked magnum cases and go with a .300 Weatherby in a Mark V Fibermark or Accumark, or even a 7mm or .270 Wby. You can load them up or down to suit your game. If you are not going to handload, stick with a .300 Win Mag or 7mm Rem Mag. Both are extremely versatile.

Comment

[Blank]

Comment

Dallas,
                  Check the profile pictures of the targets from my Remington 700 before you knock the F&S 'best rifle' winner.

Q. does your beard itch? give me a break.

Comment

Of all my rifles, which are quite a few, I am least happy with my two Remington Ultra Magnums. They are both by prominent gunmakers one with a fabulous walnut stock, the other synthetic, both have top grade barrels and Jewell triggers. Their vicious recoil is not rewarded by any special accuracy. Bare in mind I seriously use heavy recoil rifles from 375 up through 500 Jeffery.

Comment

Forgot to mention other 300 Mags. I have many friends and associates, all sophisticated hunters and marksmen who swear by their 300 Weatherby Magnums. In my case, the one I had was just not as accurate as any of my three, 300 Win Mags using factory or hand loads. Sure it was just a quirk of my rifle. When I started shooting 300 Win Mags, sort of stopped using my 7mm Remington Mag even though it is a super rifle... The 300 Winchester Magnum has been my "go to " rifle. For a long time.

Must confess, looking back on more than sixty five years hunting around the world, if I had stuck with a high quality 06, all that money spent on 300 magnums would have paid for a lot of hunting trips.... Kindest Regards

Comment

I have never owned a .300 Win Mag, but it is a superb cartridge. After firing a .300 RUM at the range a few years ago, I decided that I could tolerate that level of recoil and acquired a .300 Weatherby which has most of the performance and not all the recoil of the RUM. Owing to the fact that most Weatherby rifles are heavier than most other rifles chambered in .300 Win Mag, felt recoil calculates to about the same even with a little more powder and velocity in the Roy.

Comment

[Blank]

Comment

I am just tugging on your chain Dallas.

Comment

Your highest long range accuracy will come from a relatively heavy barrel which reduces barrel torque/vibration and improves shot-to-shot consistency. This goal is at odds
                              with your desire for ease of hunting where a lighter weight barrel is easier to carry. Personally, I have learned to carry a little heavier rifle for improved long range accuracy and to reduce the recoil of cartridges like the .300 Win Mag.

For long range accuracy (beyond 400 yards) you will also want to acquire an exceptional barrel with a 100% aligned chamber. In the Rem 700 line you will pay more for one of these in such models as the Sendero or the VSS but they should be accurate for ranges out to 600 yards or so, maybe more. I do not consider 400 yards to be long range so .75-1.0 MOA accuracy is all that is needed (and a 30-06 is all that is needed). If you intend to shoot 1000 yard targets, .2 MOA or better will give you a much better chance. You will likely have to buy a custom barrel with a custom chamber cut to get that level of accuracy. Lothar Walther barrels are exceptional at 1000 yards and beyond but most premium barrels will work out to 1000 yards.

The .300 Win is an excellent cartridge since you hand load. You can make it perform like a .308 or a top tier magnum based on your needs. This cartridge will allow you to target elk over 200 yards further than with the 30-06 if you so desire. The .300 WSM will perform equally well if you prefer that case. Remember you can shoot nice accurate very low drag Berger 215s for long range target/hunting applications or 110g smokin' varmint loads with very little recoil and lots of flat shooting speed. You can see a 110g grouping from my .300 Dakota on my profile pics... they are varmint killers out to about 500 yards or so. After that, the larger bullets perform better.

Some relatively lower cost options are available as long as .5 MOA accuracy is OK (and that should be fine unless you are interested in competitive shooting). You might just get that from the average Weatherby Vanguard or Howa 1500 (same barrel/receiver) with tuned loads. You may also expect that from the Savage 111 long range rifles. A nice aspect of the Savage is that you can order a completely finished premium barrel and install it yourself to save money while getting premium accuracy.

Regarding stocks, I am convinced that as long as the stock is glass/pillar bedded right, its composition is of little impact. On my long range rifle, I shoot a walnut stock I carved myself just to prove this point to many long range shooters (see profile). Manufacturers have been hyping fiberglass stocks for years so they can eliminate the cost of real wood but either will work fine as long as it is properly bedded and the barrel is free floated.

After 40+ years of use in rain, sleet, dry dessert, high humidity, snow, temperatures from -25 to 110 degrees, it still shoots 3.5" five-shot groups at 1000 yards, normally beating $1000 stock investments from other shooters. If you need a stock, the Bell & Carlson with aluminum bedding blocks are a pretty good value for around $225 all in. You can pay a lot more for a stock but you won't get much better accuracy after you skim bed one of these stocks.

Good luck with your decision... so many choices!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad