Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I find thunderstorms fascinating and enjoy watching them roll thru from the safety of my living room. I've also been out huntin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 268bull
    replied
    Wind and lightning!Not really a good day to be in the timber.Lightning may be a rush, but if it strikes a tree you may be hudling under, you might get lit up. Then gusting winds clean the canopy of widow makers. Maybe a good day to stay in camp and read your Louis L'amour.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    The most dangerous hunting experience was in the Adirondacks. A micro-burst or wind shear had gone through a wide area where I was hunting. Many, many broken tree tops were precariously hanging atop other trees just waiting to fall down with the slightest breeze. I was on my toes all day watching for the potential danger from above.

Leave a comment:

• jay
    replied
    While I agree with your obvious statement Gary, if you are on a 10 day backcountry hunt you might not have the luxury (no cell service).

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    Jay, the best safety tip before you go hunting is to watch the Weather Channel.
    They tell you the temperature for the day so you know how to dress.
    They also give you the thunder storm and the rain forecast so you can bring rain gear or go back to bed with a flooding down pour forecast.

Leave a comment:

• I find thunderstorms fascinating and enjoy watching them roll thru from the safety of my living room. I've also been out huntin

I find thunderstorms fascinating and enjoy watching them roll thru from the safety of my living room. I've also been out hunting when these storms roll thru and they deserve respect. A good writeup on how to limit the odds of a lightening strike can be found here: rendezvous.nols.edu/files/Curriculum/research_projects/Risk%20Management%20Reports/NOLS%20Backcountry%20Lightning%20Safety%20Guidelin es.pdf

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad