Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Over hundred elk found dead in northern New Mexico. The State Fish and Wildlife are investigaing the cause of death. The News st

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over hundred elk found dead in northern New Mexico. The State Fish and Wildlife are investigaing the cause of death. The News st

Over hundred elk found dead in northern New Mexico. The State Fish and Wildlife are investigaing the cause of death. The News story and video is inside my first comment. Could EHD Disease that kills deer across this country also kill elk?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=16Xr1V_DkHo

What is next moose and bears?

Comment

They may be safe to eat, but I just lost my appetite.
      Thanks for posting.

Comment

It may be EHD, but they all died in the same spot. Unusual for EHD. Could it be aliens?

Comment

99explorer, you’re welcome.

The bear eating the dead elk didn’t even run when the helicopter was hovering above him.

It could be Chronic Wasting Disease it has been found in elk, moose and deer? The video link below on CWD is from the Wyoming Fish and Game Department.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7LT8vHoky8

Comment

I have found a good many deer killed by EHD but this incident lacks the one common theme of an EHD outbreak, the animals weren't found in or very near to water. EHD causes an animal to have a high fever, when animals get a fever they go to water. The animals also seemed to be in good health before the die-off so that rules CWD out for me as the animals are usually very emaciated and look ill. I'm no expert but this looks to be a poisoning or gassing of some sort.

Comment

I read that story about a week ago. Lightening was my first guess.

Comment

It could be they poisoned themselves on something natural or manmade.

Comment

Montana and Hobob, if it was some type of poison wouldn't other wildlife species in that area be found dead also?

Comment

If it were EHD or CWD wouldn't they have found dead deer nearby too? They neither confirm nor deny that elk were the only animals found. From my personal observations elk tend to stay away from other animals. If it were something that these elk ate then wouldn't they be the only ones affected? I don't believe that it was lightning either, its over too widespread of an area, as a wildland firefighter I have personally witness animals that have been hit by lightning its much more localized than a square mile area. Typically, only 1-10 individuals are involved. Hopefully they find the answer to this very troubling situation.

Comment

Gary, If it was ingested then it could be an elk specific food. I am just guessing though its impossible to know yet what it was. It seems too spread out for lightening and too small an area for an outbreak. The info is very limited hopefully more is reported soon. Does EHD kill this fast?

Comment

I have to agree with Hobob. Clustered or grouped as they are, I think disease is unlikely; it would have to be faster acting because the elk haven't dispersed, so I'm inclined to think they'd gotten poisoned, possibly by a poison set out for predators.

Comment

Any more word on this?

Comment

Hobob, it's still being investigated.

www.livescience.com/39522-mysterious-elk-deaths-plague-new-mexico.html

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
                              by 99explorer
                              CRM - It would be nice if you could address the issues presented in opposing comments instead of deriding the person posting the comments.
                              Anybody
                              Today, 01:09 AM
                            • Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
                              by rock rat

​​​​​​[email protected]: “Oh, you’re doing death as a proportion of cases. I’m talking about death as a proportion of population....
                              Yesterday, 09:27 AM
                            • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                              by 99explorer
                              Dream on boys. We've all seen an actual cold-blooded murder take place on TV, and the kneeling cop will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law....
                              Today, 12:57 AM
                            • The George Floyd case.
                              by FirstBubba
                              Body cam footage shows Floyd wasn't murdered. The cop kneeling on his neck might have been negligent, but his actions did not kill Floyd.
                              Minnesota...
                              Yesterday, 10:23 PM
                            • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                              by crm3006
                              My mistake, I didn't realize the Minnesota AG was going to prosecute. I thought it was U.S. Attorney Erica MacDonald. ellison being a muslim, there is...
                              Yesterday, 11:24 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X