Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does one really need to shoot the hottest load that can be stuffed into a cartridge case to cleanly harvest a game animal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rudyglove27
    replied
    No!

Leave a comment:

• rudyglove27
    replied
    No!

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    Definitely not. You can take a deer just fine in most timber hunting conditions with a slow moving hunk of lead in something like a 30-30 or .35 Remington. That being said, I am a speed seeker. I like my varmint hunting bullets (not deer bullets) to be as FAST as I can very accurately shoot. My first love was a .220 Swift. It wasn't a testosterone urge... it was the fact that I could aim at a prairie dog's chest and hit it out to 300 yards with no trouble. The fast flat shooting bullet took most of the guesswork out of the wind and trajectory caluclations. I would have been lucky to hit one out of 10 at 300 yards with a 30-30. I now shoot a 25-06 and find that it shoots at its highest accuracy level near maximum load speed. I use the high velocity to give me an edge on varmints and long range deer. I still slow them down on timber deer to avoid blowing up meat and getting too much deflection on brush. I will never knock a fellow hunter for carrying a 30-30 in the timber and I won't knock a fellow varminter that seeks to break the 5000fps barrier on his project rifle.

Leave a comment:

• idduckhntr
    replied
    Beekeeper I aplaude you sir on being a true gentleman.

Leave a comment:

• Beekeeper
    replied
    Clay,

Being a true southern gentleman, I have but one response to you Sir, one which my Grandfather and Father took great pains to instill an understanding of early on. "One does not get into a braying match with a J A C K A S S !

Also, my breathing is fine and my face is it's normal healthy color. Thank you for the concern...

Leave a comment:

• idahooutdoors
    replied
    Only if you want to wear out your rifle and possibly damage it and yourself. I do have a friend who only owns the fastest calibers possible, (300 ultra mag, 220 swift, 204 ruger, etc..) and his opinion is "if you owned a Ferrari would you drive it in 1st?" Maybe he has a point.....

Leave a comment:

• bonnier-admin_2
    replied
    breath..... man...... BREATH YOUR TURNING BLUE IN THE FACE!

Leave a comment:

• bonnier-admin_2
    replied
    O' this is just to funny!

Leave a comment:

• bonnier-admin_2
    replied
    PS
    I never wounded a big game animal in my life, but a many times I have handed my rifle to the ones that did!

Go figure!

Leave a comment:

• bonnier-admin_2
    replied
    Beekeeper

Tell me my Brother, why should I lower my ability to yours, when in fact you should be asking not just why but how I do what I do!

Should I shoot between the targets and be penalized as a miss and not win the Regional Championship or shoot the ground at 6 feet out and say I missed my game. Where not playing golf here so why should I handicap myself just to please you!

And as far as Dangerous Game, I tweak and fine tune my loads for maximum performance and never had a load or case failure in competition or hunting big game!

Hunting critters, I’ll reload the casings to the very last safe reloadable use!

Beekeeper, you crack me up

Go have a "Glass of Ice Tea" on me!

Don't like beer unless I'm in the mood for it and if so only one will do!

Leave a comment:

• Jim in Mo
    replied
    In no way does it need to. I've found best accuracy comes about 3/4 to near max of loading manuals suggested loads, then fine tuning in 1/2 grains. They all fall dead. I've never bought into the Roy Weatherby camp that speed alone kills. And this man didat one point say that.

Leave a comment:

• idduckhntr
    replied
    hjohn429 there is nothing wrong with the bottom load in the book if your gun shoots it well, I have a 788 REM in 243 that shoots like a dream as long as I dont take it to the top load.

Leave a comment:

• Big O
    replied
    NO of course, My 06 liked middle of the row.
    My .308 a little higher than center.
    .300 Win. I push "book" high but she like's it and I've got the B.O.S.S on it.

Leave a comment:

• hjohn429
    replied
    No, but you should never use the minimum load either.

Leave a comment:

• buck hunter 17
    replied
    i dont think so but i guss that some people think that they have to to harvest a game animal.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad