Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does one really need to shoot the hottest load that can be stuffed into a cartridge case to cleanly harvest a game animal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does one really need to shoot the hottest load that can be stuffed into a cartridge case to cleanly harvest a game animal?

Does one really need to shoot the hottest load that can be stuffed into a cartridge case to cleanly harvest a game animal?

The simple answer is no. It is a lot like cars in that I do not need a 4-wheel drive to run to the store for milk but if we have a flood it sure will come in handy. I think it is human nature to seek bigger, faster, and stronger. Many people such as myself experiment with different loads to maximize the performance of a weapon. I do it to challenge myself to find a load that my rifle shoots better than any that I had tried before. Many times I discover that I need to shoot a lesser load to maximize the accuracy and performance of my rifle.

Comment

Beekeeper are you saying, I’m suppose to load the equivalent of a 30-30 load in my 30-06?

Depends what you’re going to do with it.

The rifles I have shoot best on the max end of the scale.

Of course if you’re not shooting past 50 yards is your bag, then why have a rifle to begin with!

Comment

I wonder if Beekeeper like cold dates with no teeth?!

Or beer thats hot and bland?!

Comment

No you don't. People just get carried away.

Comment

Cooper,

Your remark disgusts me. You must be one pathetic human being...

Comment

No, an accurate, well placed shot is much more important than a screaming fast miss or worse yet, gut shot.

Comment

Your target will show the tightness of your group, and your chronograph will show the efficiency of your velocity extreme spread. These will dictate how "fast" the load for a particular rifle should be.
                When I first started handloading I had a habit of loading a little too hot. Not anymore.

Comment

No, but it depends on what you are looking for. I handload my .257 Roberts up hotter than standard loads because it is factory underloaded and can achieve (almost) .25-06 performance with handloads. Accuracy and consistency is far more important to me than just speed. A friend of mine has a wall full of antlers taken with his .257R with 100 grain SP starting loads! But he doesn't shoot at 250-300 yards either!

I never load my .30-06 hotter than max load data. My .358 Winchester is loaded well below max to get a nice tight group at about 2,400 fps mv.

Comment

I have to load my 7mmWBY at the top of the book to get any accuracy out of it but my 308 will shoot 3 rounds in a dime with a middle load, I like to find the most accurate load my rifles like and stick with wether its at the top, bottom or in the middle. A accurate rifle is a happy rifle.

Comment

Consistent groups and a stable, expanding bullet. Then again, it could also be the gun you shoot it out of, is the barrel well-made? What about the stock? Is it well-bedded? I've shot $17.99/Box bullets out of my .270 and could have nickel-sized groups, vs. a spendy $30.00/Box and shoot groups bigger than 1 1/2 inch circle. The right bullet for the gun is just as important. The hottest, coolest bullet/load (also more expensive) does not equal the best for you and your gun.

Comment

Hey, fellas. Let's not insult each other here.

I don't think Clay was trying to be disgusting. A little sharp maybe.

WMH

Comment

The obvious answer is NO. In a dangerous game situation the worst thing would be for a hot load to stick in your chamber or go to pieces. Happy myles could undoubtably expound on that one.

Comment

No. But you can never have too much horsepower. But loading each and every round to the edge where one more tenth of a grain would blow your rifle is foolish and unnecessary.

Comment

i dont think so but i guss that some people think that they have to to harvest a game animal.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad