Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is the best caliber rifle for hog hunting near San Antonia texas, the hogs are mostly between 125-300 in that area.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Montana
    replied
    Was down there in April/March- shots I had were close, 60 yards from the blinds, maybe 15 yards was a long shot while we "stalked". The 236 pound tusked sow I shot didn't move an inch when I shot her with the 270 with 130 grain SSTs at 60 yards, high shoulder shot, was going to brain box er but she wouldn't stop moving. The 100 pound boar I shot stalking didn't give me a chance in the thick brush, I pulled out the Model 1911 and gave him one through the brain box at 10 feet. Both hogs were very dead, but the sow had a much better taste than the boar.

Leave a comment:

• bayouwoof
    replied
    Marlin 1895SS in .45-70 or .444.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Tree-
    It will also turn a 350 lb. hog a double back flip. That 250 gr. load is a surefire stopper.

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    Hey O6, Big Bore 94 Now that's a Round you don't here any more 375 Win...That's Good!!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    In heavy cover, spot and stalk, I would go with something big and slow, but fast handling. .30-30 lever gun, .35 Remington pump, any of the various autoloaders in a .30 caliber or better, or my own personal favorite, a .375 Winchester in a '94 Big Bore.
    Hunting from a stand, just take your favorite deer rifle, but no mouse guns, unless you can place that bullet in their ear.

Leave a comment:

• Happy Myles
    replied
    I have only killed a dozen or so, but have used quite a few different calibers. 22-250 up through 30/338, including a couple with a 12 gauge loaded with buckshot. An 06 should be fine.

Leave a comment:

• RJ Arena
    replied
    I am not familiar with that area, so my questions would be are you hunting in close cover and how long a shot can/would you make? My .45-70 was great in the sunshine state for hogs.....

Leave a comment:

• Panfry101
    replied
    I use a .308 win for all of my pig hunting at all ranges. Sounds like just about anything with a 7mm diameter and up would do you justice. Haha the real question is what do you have?

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    If you are hunting out of a treestand, anything will work. All you have to do is shoot them under the ear or in the heart from broadside. Some use the .223 for firepower on multiple pigs and something the size of a 25-06 or .270 gives you several hundred yards of flat shooting range if you need it.

If you are hunting on the ground or in thick brush it's a whole different matter. You need something to stop a charge from a vicious hog who is over 300 pounds and wants to KILL you. When they are that big, their shield can stop a .270 bullet believe it or not. You need something that can put them down before they shred you. A 45-70 is great and a 30-06 is not overkill as it is with deer. One of the most effective is the 12 gauge shotgun because it shoves them backwards in a full charge and penetrates the shield better than most rifle bullets. I know they look a bit like barnyard pigs but you can count on them to act more like a wounded lion.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    mike0174 pretty much said it all.
    My chosen "pig" rifle is a Ruger Ranch in 6.8mm Rem SPC. It's not a long range rifle but up close and personal ans in heavy cover, it works like a champ! The "Mini-Thirty" (7.62x39) would be another good choice.

Leave a comment:

• mike0714
    replied
    from .257 weatherby magnum all the way up to .45-70 and you can drop hogs. in my opinion what really matters is the type of cover you will be hunting. If you are hunting the texas hill country then a .270, .284, 30-06, .338 are great rounds because shots may be longer due to the openness of the country and farm fields. Now if you are hunting texas scrub then we have a whole new ball game. in tight scrub with shots under 200 yards I love lever actions because of the fast reloads and ease of shooting. I own a .45-70 and it is my hog gun along with my .284 for long range. Both have taken pigs of 300 lbs+ but both have very different advantages. With the .284 i have shot hogs past 300 yards which would be very very hard to do with a .45-70. I have shot charging wounded pigs with the .45-70 and had them skid to a few feet in fount of me. this is some thing that would have been very hard with the .284. solike i said different round are more/less effective based on the type of hunting you will be doing and the cover you will be hunting in.

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    JMO~~ The 44Mag,30/30,308W,30/06,12Ga is Good Hog Medicine here in Fl and will work in Texas as well.
    I like a Short Slug Barreled 12Ga Pump with Rem/ Copper/HP Slugs. The best eating Hogs are Under 250#.

Leave a comment:

• Ol Krusty
    replied
    Is San Antonia the sister of San Antonio?
    I recommend the 270, but a 06 is always a good choice too.

Leave a comment:

• Grassroots89
    replied
    You can't go wrong with an aught six.

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    Bearing in mind that some of those critters can weigh upwards of 500 pounds, my preference in calibers is the .30-06.
    In some places, they are known as the poor man's grizzly bear.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad