Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

thanks for answering my last question!!! i'm curious what my browning .270 a-bolt winchester is uncapable of hunting? (in terms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thanks for answering my last question!!! i'm curious what my browning .270 a-bolt winchester is uncapable of hunting? (in terms

thanks for answering my last question!!! i'm curious what my browning .270 a-bolt winchester is uncapable of hunting? (in terms of big game for rifles.) thanks again everyone. i'm still learning.

Everything up to Black bears, would'nt go bigger though.

Comment

Don't plan on hunting Grizzlies with it.

Comment

Steve I have a friend that went on a Dall sheep hunt and although no sheep were taken his guide told him to please place a bullet in a 9' grizz and so he did, said the bear only went 50 yrds and droped. I would not have done it, I would also look at the guide and ask him if he had soft spots in his head. NO I would not recomend a 270 for anything that weighs 800 pounds with teeth unless it is all I had for everything else it will promptly knock them dead as hell.

Comment

Technically, it's capable of killing practically any game animal. It's a little light for elk, but acceptable. I don't know anyone that uses one for moose, but I guess that would be doable too. People have hunted lions with a .270, but not that's not the best idea, supposedly. Lions are thin skinned and wimps, but everyone says you have to pretty much use a buffalo gun. I'd say elk is about the limit.

Comment

Lets be safe with a 150 grain partion or barnes you are good to black bear and moose the big thing is good rifle good bullets and practice.

Comment

There is really no clear-cut answer to the question. Bullet placement, bullet placement, bullet placement is the best answer I can give. I personally wouldn't go any larger than Elk and Black Bears. My uncle took a moose with a 50" spread with his .270, but that isn't something I would try. I would, however, trust a .30-06 to reliably kill any big game in North America up to and including grizzlies.

Comment

You can leave elephant and rhino off your list. Cape Buffalo is a stretch but still possible with the right bullet and the right placement. Larger bears are also a bit of a stretch.

Comment

You can kill anything you want. Deer, elk, grizzly, cape buf, elephant. Oh yes you need to shoot them where it counts. Best stick to 500 lb animals.

Comment

I would not hesitate to go on a moose hunt with mine. If a bear was coming at me I'd be emptying my clip in a hurry and I'm sure he'd drop too. Use 150 grain bullets. A 30-06 in the same spot as a 270 won't make any difference.

Comment

Agreed with idduckhntr and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Good morning everyone
                        by DakotaMan
                        PH, these are long range rifles and when the rifling at the crown is worn even a little bit, the group sizes grow noticeably. 3 inch groups at 1000 yards...
                        Today, 12:47 PM
                      • Good morning everyone
                        by fitch270
                        Looks like most of the regular crew is on right now, what's everyone's plan for the day? I'm packing up gear and headed on the hill to shoot some rifles...
                        08-01-2020, 08:52 AM
                      • Reply to Handgun Laser Sights
                        by dewman
                        Only gun I have with a laser is a Walter p22 that I don't care much for. Sorry PH.
                        Today, 12:41 PM
                      • Handgun Laser Sights
                        by PigHunter
                        On 7/19, Milldawg mentioned he'd ordered a laser sight for his wife's Ruger LCP 380 and they were on sale at MidwayUSA. Well, that inspired me to order...
                        08-03-2020, 11:20 AM
                      • Reply to Handgun Laser Sights
                        by dewman
                        That's what my sister in law carries, exactly the same I believe. And like many, she's never shot even one round through it. I can't tell you how many...
                        Today, 12:39 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X