Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a Black bear roaming around my yard regularly. I have young children so obviously this is a problem. I am an avid hunter,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a Black bear roaming around my yard regularly. I have young children so obviously this is a problem. I am an avid hunter,

I have a Black bear roaming around my yard regularly. I have young children so obviously this is a problem. I am an avid hunter, but never tackled a black bear. I'm wondering if any of y'all could give me some advice on how to lure the bear in and the best ways to kill it. I live in a restricted firearm area so it will have to be with a compound bow. Any advice would be great thanks.

Let the DEC take care of the bear - they might trap it and relocate it.

Comment

That would be highly illegal out of season. Contact your local game commission office and have them deal with it as a problem bear.

Comment

In New Jersey you will do more prison time killing a bear out of season, then killing a man. LOL

The state fish and wildlife department will trap the bear or dart it then relocate it. If the bear is causing danger to children, pets or property a policeman has the jurisdiction to kill the bear on site.

Comment

I understand killing it out of season is Illegal it is not my intention to take any animal out of season. I live in WA and the bear season is opening here in the next month. Like I said I am an avid hunter and recently came to WA. Hunting a bear has always been a goal of mine So I am looking at what options there are. If it proves to be more hassle than its worth I will speak to the local game commission. Thanks

Comment

Better speak to them anyway. Only they will give you the straight poop on baiting, etc. Personally, I am not attracted to the idea of killing a habituated bear, deer, goose, or anything else. Not a lot of difference between that and high fence or canned hunts. I take wild animals only. But that's just me.

Comment

To me, it seems ironic that it could be considered unethical to shoot a bear, in season, if it's too apt to wander into your yard. The bear especially needs killing because it is habituated to people (as would be true of any other animal threatening to people, but not deer). The guy needs some hunting advice. Unfortunately, I can't really give it either as I've never shot a bear.

But I'd urge you to study up on the WA laws on shooting near or from a dwelling, which might not be legal even with a bow, and on using bait in a bear hunt. Consider putting up a tree stand or building a tree house to shoot from; that should make you and the kids happy. If he's still coming around, that almost has to work.

Comment

I wonder if flash bang shotgun shells or fireworks would deter the bear from coming around.

Comment

David, a deer is plenty threatening if you pile into one with a Honda civic or motorcycle. I wouldn't dink around waiting for hunting season. Get rid of the bear one way or the other now. Trying to wait to make a "hunt" out of it in season is not something I would get excited about.

Comment

SirGumbo
                    A neighbor kept allowing his Akita to run loose. I stepped out my door one morning to be greeted by the deep throated growl and the bared fangs of a peturbed, 125 pound dog! Fortunately for him, when I reappeared 2 minutes later, he had returned to his yard. I'll not be menaced in my own yard! (...or home!) Ain't gonna happen. I got two more chances at that s.o.b. but never with a firearm in hand.
                    As far as a black bear is concerned? ESPECIALLY a "habituated" one! I would consider them a danger to my children and family and laws be damned, address the issue as necessary.
                    Yes! I understand the "season" thing and "illegal" thing and no gun zone thing...and I don't have a problem contacting the proper authority.! But I'm NOT going to allow my children or spouse to be harmed because of "Johnny Law's" ineptitude or laziness!
                    Call me a hardcore old fart if you wish, it's just the way I was raised! It's MY job to protect my family.

OHH
                    That's got to be about the stupidest thing you've ever posted! EVERYBODY knows that "habituated" wildlife is the MOST dangerous! They have no fear of man!

Comment

.....and OHH, it isn't about "HUNTING"! It's about protecting your family!

Comment

jhjimbo
                        I've got some "flash/bang" ammo that will definitely make the animal disappear! PERMANENTLY! LOL!

Comment

Hum? The safety of my children vs. waiting around for the government to deal with relocating their bear into my neighbor's yard to terrorize their kids? My yard, my problem. BANG! Problem solved.

Comment

If baiting is legal, dump out honey buns or doughnuts and wait, It will can come and you can shoot it with the bow, but it might run onto a neighbor's property. Just keep the shotgun on stand-by.

Comment

I guess I'm pretty naïve on this subject but have had black bears wander into my yard occasionally. I never considered them much more dangerous than a raccoon. It DOES upset me when they rip my bird feeders down and shred them but I have frankly never worried about the kids.

We get about a dozen people a day killed by humans in my city but so far black bears have never killed anyone. National statistics seem to be consistent with our averages. We even had a black bear wander into a restaurant last year. He panicked a little bit finding the door when it was time to leave, but he never came close to hurting anyone. I guess for me, it is just a matter of protection priority. If I see one attacking my kids it will be dead. I also won't be adding anything to my yard to attract them other than my bird feeders.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad