Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My ultimate hunt would be chasing a bit cat out west somewhere. So my question is...has anybody been on a mountain lion hunt and

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My ultimate hunt would be chasing a bit cat out west somewhere. So my question is...has anybody been on a mountain lion hunt and

My ultimate hunt would be chasing a bit cat out west somewhere. So my question is...has anybody been on a mountain lion hunt and what state did you do it? I would love to see another article in F&S; about this.

All of the Rocky Mountain States from New Mexico in the south north through Montana into British Columbia and Alberta are good for Cougar. I have always been told they get larger as you hunt farther north. The record book seems to bear this out with lots on entry's from B.C. And Alberta, but here are plenty of entry's from Montana, Idaho, and Colorado. I have taken a cat in New Mexico and in Montana, both good cats. There are tons of good guides, go when snow is on the ground their pelts are better and males are looking for mates. Trivia, for a time the record was held by Teddy Roosevelt. It is on display in the New York Museum Of Natural History. As I recall he took it in B.C. Kindest Regards

Comment

Idaho is ranked #3 for Boone & Crocket mnt lions.

Comment

If you want to hunt ID, head to the northern most area of the state. Can get you in contact with some of the best people in the business there if you're interested.

Comment

I just glimpsed that article yesterday at the book store (was surprised to actually see F&S on the shelves there again). It was interesting. I know of no one who hunts cats that way. All the guides will take you out with dogs. You shoot it out of the tree. I'm glad there's people doing it (the cat population is getting ridiculous in many places) but that kind of hunting is not for me. I could have shot one once when elk hunting but didn't have the money for mounting and even if I did, I don't find them to be a particularly attractive mount. Bobcat or lynx is a different matter. Only thing prettier to hang on the wall is a winter badge.

Comment

I never hunted cougars. Is hunting them with dogs the only way to hunt them?

Can you hunt cougars over bait like some states do with black bears?

Comment

They don't seem to come in to bait well. Not easily trapped either. They prefer to kill their prey whereas bears are scroungers. The bruins will eat anything and everything.

Check out the article in F&S. That guy calls them and as I recall he did some "rattling" too (I only glanced at the article). Never knew anyone who did it that way. Cats are big time roamers. They don't typically hang around the same place too long unless they have become habituated (which is usually a place where a lot of deer are already habituated which is usually a place where no one can hunt). A truly wild cougar is very spooky and it's usually not easy to find them.

Yes, hunting cougars with dogs is, as far as I know, the best way to get them. If the dogs can get on a scent it's as often as not lights out for the cat. Years ago the real sport was getting up in the tree and lassoing the cat, tying it up, and then tagging it for fish and game. Not a sport for the faint of heart but a lot of guys were doing it. Most guys I knew shot them out of the tree with .22 magnum pistol.

Comment

Okay, not really "lassoing." A snare on the end of a stick. Usually slip it over it's foot if memory serves me correctly. I watched em doing it on TV many years ago. Cats are very wimpy about that sort of thing. A lynx gets a claw caught in a trap and just sits there till it freezes to death. Won't struggle at all.

Comment

Honker, thank you but I am a little shocked they will not go to hunters bait pile.

Leopards and Lions are hunted in Africa over bait.
                  Bobcats come in to my bear bait to eat decaying deer meat.
                  The F&S trail camera photo contest has pictures of cougars eating dead deer in front of the trail cameras.

Comment

My only mountain lion hunt involved being hunted (stalked) by the mountain lion. The hairs on the back of my neck were up to the point that I backtracked and sure enough there were her tracks right on top of mine. My approach to alpha predators is that I won't hunt them if they don't hunt me. The only exception is that, while I don't hunt them, I would gladly shoot a target of opportunity wolf as a public service just like a coyote.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad