Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I got into a spirited debate with a friend about ethical hunting distances. I was wondering what you guys thought? I will weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• joel.grudle
    replied
    It all depends on the shooters equiptment, skill, knowledge of bullet flight and the right amount of training. If you haven't practiced the shot on a target first, chances are it's probably not an ethical shot, no matter what the range, limitations are lines in the sand not to be crossed without practice first. Cripple an animal and you could just be painting a target on it's back for the coyotes in the area.

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    Ethical range is the range at which you know you can place your shot in a vital zone for a quick, painless kill. It varies depending on your weapon and your skill. Some people miss deer at 10 yards; some people never miss them at 500 yards and beyond.

There is really no specificethical range but I have found that ethical range tends to increase as we learn to shoot better and as we use better equipment designed for longer range accuracy and control.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    Bubba, a 50/60 yard shot with a flying broadhead on an arrow. You must spend a lot of time tracking game. lol

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    First.
    We each have limits. It's up to each individual to "find" their limit, learn how to operate "within" those limits and work to expand those limits.
    As for archery. I've made some shots that would make Byron Ferguson proud! When I started shooting a compound, M.K. insisted I put a "sight" on it. I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn! Years later, I gave the compound away and picked up the longbow and went back to instinct shooting. I'm much happier now and the 50/60 yard shot I passed on with the sighted compound are a piece of cake with my longbow.

"Ethical" range? It's different for each and every one of us.

Leave a comment:

• DEER30
    replied
    I wrote a piece on this last year referencing long shots with a bow. I would be pleased if you were to check it out at www.deer30outdoors.com/far-shots-are-long-shots/
    Although it was written for bow shots the basics behind my ethics equally apply to rifle hunting.

Essentially, each hunter has a different effective range and they need to stick to that range regardless of weapon. This range may vary upon conditions. just because you pulled off a long range shot once under good conditions, does not mean you shot expect the same results under more adverse conditions. therefore, I take a more conservative approach on windy days for example. High cross winds can push a bullet or arrow drastically at the limits of my range. So if I feel comfortable at 50 yards with my bow under perfect conditions, with a 30 mph crosswind, I reduce my range to 30-35 yrds.

Know yourself, know your equipment, know the conditions, and most importantly know the limitations of each. If you can make the shot, go for it. Any doubt, and pass.

Leave a comment:

• mike0714
    replied
    I should have just said big game with bow or gun. I agree with you guys how it is about the skill of the hunter not the distance. we where flipping through the channels and saw a bow hunter shoot a hog at 52 yards and he got super pissed about the distance. He has not grown up shooting and was visiting from PA. I made the argument that it is all about your skill and equipment. I grew up shooting competitively in both archery and rifle shooting. When I was competing, I was shooting a 44lbs recurve at 90 meters. So a 52 yard shot even now with a modern high weight compound is relatively easy. (heck I shot my bull two years ago at 56 and nicked the heart). For the rifle thing eastern and western hunting differ a bunch so he did not really argue that point but like I said the argument got quite spirited. sorry if i sound a little ticked but was still disagree.

Leave a comment:

• Greenhead
    replied
    Like so many above have said, it depends on the game, the shooter, and the gun. I guess a rule of thumb is the distance you are sure you can make a clean kill at. For doves, it might be 25 yards, for moose, it might be 300.

Leave a comment:

• ozarkghost
    replied
    As has been pointed out it depends on the game and the skill level/ability of the individual. In squirrel hunting I try for head shots with a .22 and even with a scope I pass on any shot past 25/30 yards. Past that the target area is just too small to guarantee a clean kill, at least for me.

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    Ambiguous question. Are you talking goose or moose?

Leave a comment:

• RJ Arena
    replied
    Take in consideration, shooter,rifle,conditions.
    Just like driving, to make it simple.

Leave a comment:

• Edward J. Palumbo
    replied
    My ethics in this matter are guided by my skill, so a better shooter than I would have a greater distance that would fall within his skill set. If I can't hit a vital area in the standing offhand position at a given distance, then a shot that presents at a greater distance requires my fire discipline (or a steadier position).
    Some of my rifles are capable of greater accuracy than my ability to place the shot, and the only way to find out is to practice, to experiment. Shooting from the bench may give us an idea of the firearm's accuracy potential, but these ideal conditions are not "real life". Set your targets up in the field and blaze away. Get to know your rifle and what you can do with it while practicing to improve, and that will shape your hunting ethic.
    My .30-'06 and .280 were capable of admirable accuracy at extended range, but I passed up a shot at 300+ because I didn't seem to hold steadily enough. A companion took the shot (standing) with his .270 and nailed the deer. It was within his skill to take the shot, so it was ethical for him. I was breathing like a racehorse and my crosshairs were all over the game; it was not an ethical shot for me. Let your skill or proficiency shape your hunting ethic.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    You are too ambiguous in your question. To what specifically are you referring? Ethical for deer can vary from archery, to muzzle loader to rifles, and etc. for other game. Ethical for an experienced shooter and a less experienced shooter can be several hundred yards. You should be more specific.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    250 yards for my 30-06. Period. I can hit an animal at a greater distance. And I did once (over 300 yards). But in the end I sure wished I hadn't!

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    Archery shot from a tree stand, I wouldn't shoot over thirty yards. Other guys can shoot an arrow at a greater distance.

Rifles some guys can thread a needle at 300 yards and other couldn't hit the side of a barn.
    Every individual should know their limitations with their own shooting.

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    The average Deer Kill in the U.S.A. is 100Yd or less...let your Skills and Conscience be your Guide. From my T-stand a 40 to 60Yd shot is Max in the woods, and 108Yd to the end of my food plot is Max.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad