Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am a younger hunter and am looking to buy a Rifle for big game (Largest probably black bear) I am considering a .270... any su

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am a younger hunter and am looking to buy a Rifle for big game (Largest probably black bear) I am considering a .270... any su

I am a younger hunter and am looking to buy a Rifle for big game (Largest probably black bear) I am considering a .270... any suggestions?

The 270 is one fine Caliber...But the Recoil can cause some Flinching...Now the 7mm/08 is a .270 in Short Pants with much less recoil in a short action Bolt rifle, with a greater Pay load..100Gr to 162Gr Ammo, It shoots just as flat and fast as its Big Brother...with-out the Blast and Recoil.

Comment

For up to and including black bear i would get a .308 and use 180gr bullets. For deer size animals use a 150gr.
      Should be a lot of good quality used .308's on the market as it is a very popular caliber.
      Good luck - let us know what you get.

Comment

I'm with Tree. You should shoot a .270 a few times, and possibly consider a different caliber. I never shot one that didn't kick like a pissed off roan Missouri mule.

Comment

i don't know what the others are talking about. The first deer rifle I paid for on my own was a .270 and I was 15, 5'3" tall, and 120lbs. I never had problems with the recoil. The .270 is a great round, easy to find, and effective. Finally if you are recoil sensitive a 30 dollar recoil pad is usually the ticket.

Comment

I have checked probably thousands of black bear hunters and they have carried everything from .243's to .300 Win Mags. Probably the three most poplar rounds here in the mountains of WV are the 30-30., .308 and the 30-06.

Comment

I really like the .270 and have shot both deer and elk with mine with excellent results. I would not hesitate to use it for black bear either.
              That being said I took my first bear last year with a .308 using 180gr TSX.
              If you are hunting most often in open country I would lean towards the .270. If you are hunting thicker stuff and bears over bait then I would lean to the .308.
              I have not noticed a significant difference in recoil between the two. I like them both as deadly and reasonably pleasant to shoot cartridges. Enjoy whatever you get!

Comment

I like 30-06 because the recoil is not going to be any worse than that of a .270 and with the vareity of ammunition you can buy for 30-06 you can kill almost anything. But I do warn you if you have never shot anything like a 270 or 30-06 I do not recommend that one of those be your first hunting rifle.

Comment

If any of your friends have rifles in calibers that interest you then ask if you can take a couple shots and see how they work for you. Then read up on them and make your choice. Given the bear hunting in the future I would look at the 30-06 for sure.

Comment

From an online rifle recoil table:

.270 Win / 150gr(2830fps) / 8lb rifle = 15.3 ftlbs @ 10.7fps

.308 Win / 180gr(2600fps) / 8lb rifle = 17.8 ftlbs @ 11fps

30-06 Spfd / 180gr(2700fps) / 8lb rifle = 20.3 ftlbs @ 12.8fps

I don't notice much difference in recoil between my .270 and .308 but my .308 weighs almost 1.5 lbs more which easily reduces the recoil 10-15%.

Comment

For hunting big game, the .270 is a great choice. The ammo is reasonably easy to find, not very expensive for practicing and can be had in a few different bullet weights. The recoil is nothing to be afraid of. It shoots flat and in the right rifle will group less than an M.O.A. @ 100 yards.

As to rifle, there are a number of new models guaranteed to shoot 1 M.O.A. @ 100 yds. One of them that's a consistent excellent shooter is a Tikka T3.

Comment

I've been hunting with a .270 since 1976. Personally, I couldn't have asked for a more accurate, flat shooting rifle. It's done everything I've put it to the test for ( Roosevelt elk, and blacktail deer ). On the range, granted, it's not a real pleasure to sight it in. But recoil is simply what it is. It isn't as though the rifle hammers me over backwards and set's me down 10 feet behind the bench. Knowing that before sighting the rifle, firmly plant the rifle in your shoulder, firm grip on the forearm and squeeze it off. No harm done. And quite honestly, I can't say as I've ever felt recoil when boring down on elk or deer. Just satisfaction with the results. .270 Remington, best rifle I've ever owned

Comment

Take a close look at the Savage 116 in 7mm-08 or .308 Winchester. The rifle is stainless, has a hinged floor plate, adjustable trigger, and excellent stock (including bedding) complete with a great recoil pad.

I have one in 7mm-08 that is a pure pleasure to shoot and you won't find a black bear out there that won't be impressed by any 140 grain factory load.

Comment

I ended up getting a Ruger American Rifle in .270 It is a great gun and shoots great Thanks

Comment

Anericans seem to look for formulae.That leads to failure.The other failure a lot experience is living in pixieland...making claims to self or others about self which are simply untrue. You are a young hunter you say, ...how young, what shape of person and what honestly have you hunted and with what and how good and consistent is your target shooting? What's big game to you?...in terms of reality.Bear is Dangerous Game when not shot at such a safe distance a scope is used to see it. That's what some call "hunting"....and with no need to kill it other than ego-preening. LIke all Dangerous Game which gets smarter in dealing with predators, such as mankind, as it gets older can be on you like a flash from a thicket so you are wise to develop and then assimilate serious skills in courage, awareness, and fluid motion shooting including accurate shooting from the hip (eg)long before you 'go bear hunting'. People trundle out their favorite calibre or something they read somewhere. Other things unknown as you start out become critical..how mad the bear,protecting young how fast, what angle to you. Whatever rifle and calibre you use be entirely familiar and fluid with it,I suggest flip sights, I suggest a modern double rifle, probably Merkel, with short barrel of perhaps 22 inches up to 24 inches, which balances beautifully for you...Have its regulation checked and know it well,it will be between 80 and 150 metres most likely and with no crossover. Learn to shoot consistently well and carrying 2 cartridges between the fingers of your trigger hand for fast reload...practice that hundreds of time with serious target shooting. Know the kill-placement of any thing you shoot but particularly ANY D.G. you might experience and be able to make split second decisions...for which dry run practice day in and day out for even half an hour can be a boon. Hopefully you never kill a black bear but if hunting one or anything else without knowing much about you..to KILL use say double 9.3 x74R or 30.06 in a double rifle and I suggest NOT Sabati...too many bad stories at present..but a moden quality double you can keep all your life...Chapuis or Merkel. Buy the great old British guns later on. Learn abour bullets and loads...seriously,the right choice could mean your life or death. To STOP I suggest 470 double just on no knowledge of your frame or strength...505 Gibbs might tire you more. Don't shoot alone unless unavoidable and only shoot in company with a patient, low stress good shot companion. Carry the 470 if he isn't carryig it for you so you can turn quickly and take your shot even from the hip at close quarter charge...which you have practised hundreds of times and at a target, haven't you....? Keep your 9.3/30.06 double as your second rifle...at longer distance you have time to change guns...but make sure your companion is alert and experienced with your 470.Carry cartridges at jacket height in which your normal actioon of break and reload allows you to fluidly pull cartridges from the loops and load if you have none between your fingers. Make sure you have no more than two loads and know where they are and that both will stop a 9 feet high charging bear at 6-10 metres.

In closing one can argue for 279,308, 333,and others but I am saying buy COMMON CALIBRE DOUBLES with guaranteed accuracy and no crossover.....that are right for you in lengths and in balance. No bolt rifle has balance in its use even when shortened.

The most important thing is that you are prepared, assimilated in every Department before you go seeking any D.G. or being where D.G. might be.Ignore all the stories about how someone killed a bear with a 45 handgun or a .17 when he's a deer shooter sometimes...

If you seek bear...go completely prepared for bear not 'maybe this or maybe that'...If could be wise to visit them often at a zoo and get completely inside your head the action of your raising your double, pushing the safety off (have auto changed to non auto..that could save your life.)and shooting it at its several kill/stop points.

I should also mention this...unless needing the second shot and I suggest dual triggers rather than a single and defiitely not a set trigger!...then reload instantly and fast after your first shot...and that's where auto safety can be dangerous....the safety comes on every time you breaka nd close the rifle..and you may in a panic forget to push it off (best located between barrels at breech)and suddenly it's all over for you... Voila

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to More Bad News....
                                by Amflyer
                                Thanks for letting us know. There's no words. Sometimes I wonder if what's between humans and dogs may be the perfect bond, at least in this existence....
                                Today, 10:26 AM
                              • More Bad News....
                                by WA Mtnhunter
                                My 13+ year old Black Lab is still plugging along. Not sure how much or if he will hunt this fall. The real bad news is that my 8-year old Lab, Scout,...
                                07-19-2020, 12:00 PM
                              • Reply to 16 Years
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                "... not a racist except in that I support the white condition without being a nazi or white supremacy nut." So you are a racist, just not a...
                                Today, 09:38 AM
                              • 16 Years
                                by jhjimbo
                                So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                                Yesterday, 09:20 PM
                              • Reply to Bad news on the COVID-19 front
                                by FirstBubba
                                Yes sir, he is....
                                Today, 07:49 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X