Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what are the most coveted hunting tags in the U.S.?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what are the most coveted hunting tags in the U.S.?

what are the most coveted hunting tags in the U.S.?

Rocky Mountain sheep

Comment

big foot and the chupacabra

Comment

The one you did not draw....

Comment

I would say the Maine Moose tag. I tried for twenty years and never could get one via their lottery. Do you know why? Maine gave out 900 moose tags to Maine residents and 100 tags to out-of-state hunters including aliens from Canada and other countries who also applied.
          You had a better chance hitting the Power Ball Lottery then getting a out-of-state Maine Moose Tag.

Comment

Gary- my father has applied every year since 1981 and hasn't been drawn. I've applied since 1996 and have been drawn twice.

Comment

There are many units that are a hard draw. Maine Moose as Gary mentioned, Unit 2 Elk in Colorado, Arizona, Utah elk units. But based on limited tags, and the price that Governor tags go for the winner has to be Desert Sheep.

Comment

Gary- you may never hit the "powerball" with that kind of luck. I applied in 2010 and got drawn, went and only saw one cow and have not spent the money to try again. Good luck. To answer the question mule deer tag on Utah's Antelope island, big money to get that one.

Comment

I would say out of state sheep tags or any other once in a life time hunt, or an out of state trophy pronghorn hunt in AZ. it takes residents 12-20 years to draw a rifle hunt not to mention how long it can take an out of state hunter. I know a guy who has waited nearly 30 years and is still waiting. Some people just have stupid luck. I know a guy who has drawn both sheep hunts in AZ, a moose hunt in Maine and a Utah moose tag in only 8 years of applying for all of them.

Comment

My most coveted tags are a Montana moose permit for the mountains I typically elk hunt, I have seen some giant moose there. The other is an elk rifle tag for the area I live in. Been trying both for 10 years, know of one guy that has drawn the rifle elk tag 6 times in the last 10 years... no such luck for me. But hope springs eternal so I guess next spring I will try again.

Comment

Also Gary- last year Maine gave out 3725 permits with an 81% success rate.

Comment

I once entered myself and three amigos on a feral hog hunt on a WMA in east Texas. Wr didn't get drawn, which was okay because an ice storm hit the area.
                        Monday, on the news, they asked a game biologist how the hunt worked put.
                        "We had 104 applicants and drew 100 hunters."
                        We were the only four not drawn!
                        I don't put in for hunts, it doesn't do me any good. LOL!

Comment

P-h-w, Last year Maine gave out 3,725 Moose permits?
                          How many Moose tags went to the Maine residents and how many went to the non residents? If that is correct then I will start applying again for the Moose Lottery tag.

Comment

for 2013, there are 4155 moose permits available of which no more than 10% can go to nonresidents. Horrible odds for nonresidents but someone's got to win.

Comment

There is a publication named The Huntin Fool which tracts information on coveted State tags and includes stories and pictures. Rocky Mt Bighorn, Desert Bighorn, huge elk in Utah, Arizona, and Nevada. The unique Tule elk in California. Monster Mulies in the Southwest, and the beat goes on. The magazine, for a fee, will even put in for your tags.
                              For decades, I put in for many tags every year, occasionally drawing one here and there. Most States have cut non-resident permits substantially, so it is getting harder to draw one.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• More on crawfishin' lightfoot lindsey grahm
                                by crm3006
                                Wow: Lindsey Graham Refuses to Issue Big Tech Subpoenas

Un-be-lievable.

Lindsey Graham swore up and down that he would
                                Today, 05:22 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by FirstBubba
                                "... I took your advice and blocked the slimy nine and the red rodent, ..."

Welcome! It's pretty sad to rant and rave on a blog...
                                Today, 04:39 PM
                              • Rest Easy
                                by jhjimbo
                                Rest easy 2nd amendment, you are safe now - for the time being....
                                Yesterday, 08:55 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by 99explorer
                                Even if the Democrats take the White House and the Senate, it will still take 60 Senate votes to kill the filibuster, because of the filibuster!
                                Today, 03:02 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by jhjimbo
                                They know IF Trump wins and holds the Senate and picks up some down ticket it will mean the end of the Dem party for at least ten years if not more....
                                Today, 02:39 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X