Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm going feral pig hunting next weekend for the first time and wonder what's the best time of day to hunt them, and any pointer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm going feral pig hunting next weekend for the first time and wonder what's the best time of day to hunt them, and any pointer

I'm going feral pig hunting next weekend for the first time and wonder what's the best time of day to hunt them, and any pointers? All advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Where ya huntin', Krusty and is there much hunting pressure on them piggies?
    It don't take much pressure to make 'em go noctural. A little more pressure and they'll head for greener pastures! That pack will be replaced, in time, with a new bunch.
    Most states have permits available to hunt at night with lights. Even better if somebody along knows the territory.
    Things to remember about ferals:

They're tough, but they AIN'T bulletproof! A .30-30 class weapon does quite well.
    DO NOT corner one bare handed! He'll win every time!
    They're easiest hunted with a pack of dogs! (best be tough dawgs, too!)
    If you're fortunate enough to kill a sow with piglets, sit down and wait. They'll come back to momma and they are the best eatin'!
    Best I ever had field dressed 3#'s! I REALLY like those in the 10/15# class.
    Good luck and kill 'em all!

Comment

I have found here in Fl early morning or Evening 6:30esh
      to be the best time to Hunt Hogs.& Ditto F/Buber.

Comment

We'll be in Arizona chasing them. My cousin has been scouting the area and thinks that they haven't had to much pressure on them so we're hopeful. Luckily green pastures are few and far between in AZ, so if they split, we'll know where to head them off.

Comment

Krusty

Late (almost dark) afternoons and early mornings (butt crack of dawn) will be best for stand/still hunting.
          Tip:
          Up in the heat of the day, they'll be laid up in dense thickets/brush, especially if there is water nearby. It's a really good time to slip into the cover from downwind! You can smell 'em way before you see 'em! You'll need a semi auto/lever in a low recoil round (.30-30 is superb!) and iron sights. When you "bust" 'em out of cover, it's like a porcine quail shoot! ...and it'll be over quik! BUT! Talk about a RUSH!
          My "pig" rifle is a Ruger Ranch in 6.8mm Rem SPC.
          Beware! Pigs "is" spookier than any whitetail ever hoped to be! LOL!

Comment

The afternoon & early evening has always been best for me when hunting pigs.
            Trump 2020 - Keep America Great!

Comment

Thanks fellas for your advice, hopefully we are able to bag a few Saturday. Even if we get skunked, it will be good to get away from work and out of the house for a few days.

Comment

Arkansas feral hogs can be hunted year round day or night with or without dogs.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                  by crm3006
                  What? Exposed your ignorance about Auto 5s, did I, little man? Gonna pout, and hold your breath 'til you turn blue?
                  Today, 09:45 PM
                • Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                  by derek7
                  Hi everyone,

I have one question regarding how to choose the right shotgun for myself. I want a 20 gauge semi auto with interchangeable barrel...
                  08-11-2020, 09:03 AM
                • Reply to 16 Years
                  by 99explorer
                  So tell us, blubber, is Kamala Harris a U.S. citizen or not?
                  Yes or no.
                  No speeches and no insults.
                  Today, 09:36 PM
                • 16 Years
                  by jhjimbo
                  So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                  08-12-2020, 09:20 PM
                • Reply to 16 Years
                  by FirstBubba
                  Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
                  Back on topic, we see that misinformation about Harris's citizenship status is playing a major role in...
                  Today, 09:29 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X