Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 308 vs. 270 what are your opinions for elk

308 vs. 270 what are your opinions for elk

Yes to either one. The .308 will shoot heavier bullets than the .270, but the 150 and 160 grain .277 bullets available to handloaders almost negates any advantage the .308 may hold.
    Either one requires good bullet placement and respectable ranges

Comment

.30-'06.

Comment

.308 because of the heavier bullets and I own both!

Comment

both are good but I like the 308 165 grain nosler partition or accubonds sure puts a hurt on them

Comment

I also think both will do,270 win will shoot flatter and 150 gr. nos partition will give plenty of penetration and the 308 will handle heavier bullets.If I had to choose I would go with the 270.

Comment

.308. I don't hunt elk, but a 165 grain Hornady GMX bullet would be probably be great! Or if you reload you could try some different loads. Good hunting!

Comment

If you are holding your shots under 300 yards, either is fine. Past that, neither. For hunting in timber, the .308 Win is just fine.

Comment

Ditto~~FirstBubba
                  Bullet Placement is Paramount to under 300Yd, JMO~The 308 Win gets my Vote.

Comment

With quality bonded bullets of at least 150gr, it doesn't matter between those two.

Comment

I would go .308

Comment

I don't think you could go wrong with either one. I've been hunting with a .270 Remington,760 gamemaster since 1976 and absolutely love what it's done for me. I hunt only now for Roosevelt elk, all my kills have been inside 100 yds. and the rifle has never let me down. Winchester makes some excellent bonded loads, last 2 bulls dropped like they wer pole axed. Keep in mind though, like any rifle you choose, it takes good shot placement. Again, I believe either one will do well for you.

Comment

I usually hunt elk with a 308, but either will get the job done. That said, with elk, shot placement is far more important than your caliber. A poorly placed shot from a 45-70 will have you tracking for miles, whereas a good shot from a .243 (not recommended) will drop an elk in its tracks.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad