Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am new to hunting, and am on a budget to start. I have an beautiful old Ithaca 12G (smooth at first so I could do anything) an

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am new to hunting, and am on a budget to start. I have an beautiful old Ithaca 12G (smooth at first so I could do anything) an

I am new to hunting, and am on a budget to start. I have an beautiful old Ithaca 12G (smooth at first so I could do anything) and a 10/22. I now want a big game rifle. To get the most bang for my initial rifle buck, I am considering the Ruger American, but I'm not stuck on it, nor am I necessarily stuck on new. My bigger question though is what is the best all-around/all-beast caliber to start with until I can afford a rifle for every purpose? THANKS!!!

"Ain't many problems a man can't fix, with 700 dollars and a 30-'06."

Comment

I probably should have said this first one needs to be under $500 (After Tax.)

Comment

Welcome to F&S, The best all around Cal:30/06 as for a budget Rifle Savage Axes,MARP $375.00 and a Bushnell 3-9x40 scope, Still on a budget! buy a used Marlin 336 in 30-30,32Win Spl.35 Rem, $275.00+/- add a good Pep sight or scope. Good Luck

Comment

I have a savage axis and I like it a lot. if you get one in 30-06 then you should be good to go.

Comment

Wal-Mart stores around here sell a Remington 700 SPS combo for I believe about $500. The Remington 700 is a great gun (I am just a little bit biased) and the caliber choice is totally up to you and the game you hunt. For an all around caliber though 30-06 is the way to go like others have said! If you don't like the recoil you can always move down to a .308 or .270.

Comment

[Blank]

Comment

[Blank]

Comment

[Blank]

Comment

First and only should be a 30 06. Savage is a good place to look, but there are many others.

Comment

Count one more vote for the venerable .30-06, with ammo available in every town and hamlet from coast to coast.

Comment

Remington makes the 783 that has great accuracy claims in their ads. Most all major manufacturers make a rifle in the same price range. Look at them in the store and see which one feels best to you.
                        There is also the option of a good used Remington 700 if you can find one. The 30-06 is a great choice however if the biggest game in on your list you may want something a little heavier like a .300 magnum. Good luck.
                        P.S. plan on spending as much for a good quality scope as for the rifle.

Comment

If your fare does not include elk and such big beasts, the 25-06 has been my choice for 45 years. It is very low in recoil and allows you to shoot little 75g-87g bullets for targets and varmints with blazing speed. You can literally shoot hundreds of rounds a day. It will smack coyotes out to 600 yards with the 87g bullets as long as you get a good shooting rifle and scope. 100g to 120g bullets will flatten deer out to 500 yards and its speed allows you to shoot running game like few others. I prefer it over the zippy 22-250 if I have only one rifle because at similar speeds, it hits as hard as a .270. Many think the bullets are too small for deer but that is simply because they haven't tried it. The penetrate deer end-to-end and the speed generally shocks them in their tracks.

If you want something for larger game, the 30-06 is quite versatile but not so fun to shoot at targets and varmints.

I acquired a used stainless Howa 1500 that shoots lights out for $375 with a home bedding job. You may be able to find used Tika T3s, Rem 700s or Savage 110s that deliver sufficient accuracy for longer range shooting. I suggest you consider reloading if you get a 25-06 because you will want to shoot it a LOT. It is very economical when reloaded.

Comment

For every purpose short of a grizzly, go with the .30-'06

Comment

To me best all around cartridge is the .300 win mag. Although it is far from a beginners caliber. I would go with a .30-06 or a .30-30.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad