Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is your favorite childhood wild game recipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• themadflyfisher
    replied
    Grilled trout over a wood fire, Breaded venison backstrap steaks, & Traditional Hasenpfefer.
    All three are still my favorites.

A friend's grandmother used to cook rabbit all day in a tomato sauce with coffee and it was delicious. I have tried it and can't get it to taste like hers.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    My brothers and I went out and caught around 50 large bull frogs when I was in my teens. We had a hook and fly on the end of our fishing rods. We walked the lake shore line. If you got that fly within four feet in front of the frog he would go after it and eat it.

My mother cooked around hundred frog’s legs and they were the best wild thing I ever tasted in my life. I have no idea how my mother made them. I regret I never asked her when she was alive.

Leave a comment:

• Del in KS
    replied
    Chicken fried venison steak has always been a favorite. Just cut the back leg into small pieces,(if it's and old buck pound it to make it tender) salt and pepper, flour and fry til brown. Make gravy with the drippings and steam some rice or make cathead biscuits. A vegetable and pot of hot coffee completes the meal.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Scratch,
    I make some venison chili that even my anti-hunter relative bambi huggers will come back for seconds.

Leave a comment:

• rfleer87
    replied
    Smoked turkey

Leave a comment:

• scratchgolf72
    replied
    never ate wild game as a kid...dad didnt do any hunting around the house, all of his expeditions were on sheep hunts, a brown bear hunt, and he went to Africa for a plains game safari. so i never started eating wild game until i was older. mom doesnt like the taste of wild animals for some reason, so she rarely cooks the stuff.

my favorite game recipe now is my venison chili i make on occasion. i wont share any secrets, but it took quite a few batches of experimentation before i got it perfect.

Leave a comment:

• allegnmtn
    replied
    Hossenfeffer. I think I liked the name equally as much as the dish itself. But, it was a big deal when my Dad and the beagle came home with a couple rabbits and my Mom would make Hossenfeffer just like Elmer Fudd did in the Buggs Bunny cartoon.

Leave a comment:

• ALJoe
    replied
    Pan fried deer cubed steak, mashed potatoes, black eyed peas, biscuits, and the absolute best homemade gravy. Probably still my favorite. Brings back a lot of memories of deer camp when I was a kid.

Leave a comment:

• thehunter98.6
    replied
    Fried,breaded squirrel.

Leave a comment:

• tneal1987
    replied
    My favorite had to be any jerky from wild game but for a meal I would have to say pheasant and dumplings.

Leave a comment:

• buckeye
    replied
    My favortie game meal was always rabbit potpie, but if we are talking fish too I loved it when we would catch a mess of blue gills and croppie and fry them up at camp.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Back in the late 50's, we only had canned milk in camp.
    My dad would cut loin up in half dollar sized discs, roll them in flour and brown them. He then made a gravy in the bottom of a cast iron pot, returned the meat, covered to pot and simmered until the biscuits got done.
    Fries and pork 'n beans completed the meal. I'm not so sure that helping grampa clean up after the meal wasn't just as much fun! LOL!

Leave a comment:

• country road
    replied
    Oven roasted wild turkey at Thanksgiving. Yum! It's still way up there on my list.

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    Ground-up back strap and gravy over Hot Corn bread and grits, then off to the Barn and start Milking the Cows.

Leave a comment:

• mike0714
    replied
    My great grandmas dove stew starts out with 2 pounds of bacon fat and 20 dove breast for a full recipe!! Need I say more?

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad