Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is your favorite childhood wild game recipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is your favorite childhood wild game recipe?

what is your favorite childhood wild game recipe?

Once when I was 4, my dad and I watched some hunters walk a field, they didn't think there was any rabbits, but we saw some running behind the hunters. After they left, my dad shot one with a .22. He fried it up and I was so excited. It was and old rabbit and really tough. I sat at the table chewing one piece of meat for a half hour. My dad finally noticed and told me to spit it out. It took me an hour to finish the rabbit, but it was the best thing I'd ever had.

Comment

Inner loins- butter, salt & pepper and a cast-iron pan With some brown and serve rolls. Reminds me of dad taking me with him to drag his deer out after he'd shoot it, when I was a little fella. We'd always break out the fry pan as soon as we were washed up, and he'd tell me about his hunt.

Comment

As we would be processing the deer, the heart and liver would be cooking on the stove in an iron skillet.

Another favorite is squirrel stew. One squirrel, add some of everything else you have plus a little spice. Put in a crock pot on low and come back in 6 or 8 hours.

Comment

My great grandmas dove stew starts out with 2 pounds of bacon fat and 20 dove breast for a full recipe!! Need I say more?

Comment

Ground-up back strap and gravy over Hot Corn bread and grits, then off to the Barn and start Milking the Cows.

Comment

Oven roasted wild turkey at Thanksgiving. Yum! It's still way up there on my list.

Comment

Back in the late 50's, we only had canned milk in camp.
                My dad would cut loin up in half dollar sized discs, roll them in flour and brown them. He then made a gravy in the bottom of a cast iron pot, returned the meat, covered to pot and simmered until the biscuits got done.
                Fries and pork 'n beans completed the meal. I'm not so sure that helping grampa clean up after the meal wasn't just as much fun! LOL!

Comment

My favortie game meal was always rabbit potpie, but if we are talking fish too I loved it when we would catch a mess of blue gills and croppie and fry them up at camp.

Comment

My favorite had to be any jerky from wild game but for a meal I would have to say pheasant and dumplings.

Comment

Fried,breaded squirrel.

Comment

Pan fried deer cubed steak, mashed potatoes, black eyed peas, biscuits, and the absolute best homemade gravy. Probably still my favorite. Brings back a lot of memories of deer camp when I was a kid.

Comment

Hossenfeffer. I think I liked the name equally as much as the dish itself. But, it was a big deal when my Dad and the beagle came home with a couple rabbits and my Mom would make Hossenfeffer just like Elmer Fudd did in the Buggs Bunny cartoon.

Comment

never ate wild game as a kid...dad didnt do any hunting around the house, all of his expeditions were on sheep hunts, a brown bear hunt, and he went to Africa for a plains game safari. so i never started eating wild game until i was older. mom doesnt like the taste of wild animals for some reason, so she rarely cooks the stuff.

my favorite game recipe now is my venison chili i make on occasion. i wont share any secrets, but it took quite a few batches of experimentation before i got it perfect.

Comment

Smoked turkey

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to What's on your belt?
                                by DakotaMan
                                I always have the knife, sometimes the old Ruger Single Six. ...
                                Today, 01:05 AM
                              • What's on your belt?
                                by PigHunter
                                What are you carrying on your belt this season? Here's what I had yesterday for my solo hunt on public land.

Knife - discontinued Browning...
                                Yesterday, 06:03 PM
                              • Reply to Voter Fraud
                                by jhjimbo
                                I think Trump lawyers are having a hard time getting to SCOTUS because the courts are asking for evidence and detail that no longer exists and want more...
                                Today, 12:59 AM
                              • Voter Fraud
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                For those who claim voter fraud is not happening......Google The Heritage Foundation/election fraud cases ! All states are listed.......it just might...
                                11-06-2020, 08:01 PM
                              • Reply to Hunting pants?
                                by jhjimbo
                                My every day hunting are an old pair of camo Carhart heavy weight - almost like canvas. Add some UnderArmour long jons for colder weather and for real...
                                Today, 12:34 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X