Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best bang for your buck bolt action rifle under 500 bucks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another vote for the tried and true Remington 700!

Comment

The Ruger American Rifle's have a very nice reputation, and accuracy. They'll get the job done for around 300 bucks street price, and if you throw maybe a vortex crossfire on there you'll have reached around your cap. I don't personally have experience with the crossfire, but I have liked the Viper and Diamondback models of the same company. Try to make it to a gun show or hit up a few gun shops to see what's out there right now, and do what you can to handle it before you buy it. Good luck!

Comment

Howa 1500... same rifle as the Weatherby Vanguard for even less money... highly accurate and highly reliable. Most come with a cheap Tupperware stock but it works, especially if you glass bed it and float the barrel. The Rem 700 is OK too but generally not as accurate and you usually end up spending more than $500.

Comment

Njb123,
          The Howa 1500 wears a green Hogue textured stock, and it does not bear on the barrel. There's a photo of it in my profile (click on my name). The rifle wears a Bushnell 10X Mil-Dot scope and the combination performs very well with sub-MOA groups at 100 yards and great performance on small game. Rifle plus scope cost me about $560.
          My primary varminter is a Rem 700 BDL"V" in .22-250, and I use them a bit differently because the Howa is a bit more portable, but both deliver accurately.

Comment

If you buy new, you're going to have too look at the bargain end of the spectrum. If you look at used rifles, you can pick more towards the middle to upper-middle end of the spectrum. Chances are,if you buy something in a 30-06 or similar, the rifle was not shot all that much. Learn to check important things for a used bolt and you'll come out way ahead.

Comment

No question Weatherby Vanguard 2 is the way to go.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to GA Raffensperger (sp)
                by 99explorer
                How did Trump know the exact number of Georgia votes that were "stolen" from him?
                An "audit"? Tell us more about that.
                Today, 01:05 PM
              • GA Raffensperger (sp)
                by jhjimbo
                Trump asked in the phone call with Sec. of State in GA for specifically 11780 votes to be found because that was exactly the number an audit showed were...
                Today, 10:48 AM
              • Reply to MichiganSchool Shooting
                by fitch270
                It appears there’s plenty of blame to go around on this one. The warning signs were there, neither the parents or the school would take responsibility....
                Today, 12:56 PM
              • MichiganSchool Shooting
                by jhjimbo
                It was reported today the parents of the 15yo shooter were in School THAT MORNING meeting with teachers and administration about the behavior of the shooter....
                12-02-2021, 10:53 PM
              • Reply to While you were sleeping...
                by FirstBubba
                DCM "Dead Center Mass" has been the general consensus of LEO training for many decades now.
                The class I took for my CHL (SDA in Oklahoma),...
                Today, 11:14 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X