Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A friend of mine is going elk hunting and was advised to bring a back up weapon for safety from bear and mountain lion. What ha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good advice. I had that stuff strapped to my belt every day in Alaska and was absolutely confident in its ability. Not so much my marksmanship with a pistol at a charging animal. I'm sure it will work just as well if not better on big cats. But it doesn't look very macho!

Comment

OHH - I'd rather look like a wuss with a can of bear spray, then dead on the ground with a revolver in one hand

Comment

.44 rem mag or a .500 S&W.

Comment

I have heard good things about bear spray, but I have to wonder about its effectiveness on windy days.

Comment

The speed and tenacity of a big bear is not to be doubted. I have no desire to aggravate one with a pistol. There is just not enough stopping power. I haven't shot a bear with one but I have shot a charging Russian boar with a hot .44 Mag and was shocked at its lack of shocking power and stopping power. I don't hunt hogs on the ground with only a .44 anymore. I can only imagine what kind of trouble I could expect with a big bear.

In addition, I am among those who would rather not carry an additional four pounds for nothing. If I am rifle hunting, I will depend on my rifle all the way. I would carry a .22 pistol though to finish off any game that is still alive upon my arrival.

Comment

A famous Alaskan big bear guide and outfitter who has since gone on to the Happy Hunring Ground, claimed if you carry a back up hand gun, better to shoot yourself than the bear.

Comment

I remember those days well, 4 years in Alaska running the largest and busiest range in Central AK and those guys with their 454 Casuals etc blasting away on the range. I would ask if they were using them for bear protection and every one of them would say yes. "Did you know it’s State and Federal law that you must remove the front sight off your hand cannon". They knew they they were in serious trouble while looking at the massive front sight that would pass for an Farm Implement. Why they asked? You going to shoot a bear with that right? Ya they said. Well that bear is going to slap that hand cannon out of your hand and shove it up your, and I would leave it right there and walk off. Yep! Had a lot of fun I did! But my case and point is this, nothing smaller than a 44 Mag and don’t rely on it as you first line of defense. A good reliable rifle such as 308/30-06 or larger that you can manage instantly, accurately with quick follow up shots is your best choice.

This has been a "NO LIE GI" moment!

Comment

ken.mcloud is still "MIA", I wonder if Happy Myles was right after all!

Comment

You mean about the testosterone-laden pachyderm?

Comment

thanks yall, great advice on both sides for him and myself. He was the lucky one who could afford the first trip out but I hope to follow asap. I will pass along.

Comment

Jay, have you ever noticed the wind conditions in bear country? Need to think that one throng! I always wondered where those chili peppers in bear scat cam from?

Comment

throng? YA' BUDDY!

Comment

Clay,
                            Had a hunch my story would bring out your front sight comment. Where have you been?

Comment

I've never elk hunted but I would carry enough rifle for the game I'm hunting and anything that may be hunting me.

Comment

When bowhunting for whitetails (from a treestand), I usually have a Super Blackhawk handy, loaded with Speer 300 gr. soft points. I'm not afraid, but I ain't stupid either, I have no plans to beat a bear or pack of coyotes off my feet with an arrow.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to As Bad As It Gets
                                  by 99explorer
                                  There I was, sitting at the bar staring at my drink,when a large trouble-making biker steps up next to me, grabs my drink and gulps it down in one swig....
                                  Today, 10:30 PM
                                • As Bad As It Gets
                                  by jhjimbo
                                  hi light to read

Fasten Your Seatbelt

Major General Higginbotham On Kamala Harris’
                                  06-20-2021, 07:02 PM
                                • Reply to 2020 Election - what is broken ?
                                  by FirstBubba
                                  I do believe that is the general consensus.
                                  I think they had enough trouble printing ballots.
                                  Printing ballots with down ballot votes and...
                                  Today, 10:30 PM
                                • 2020 Election - what is broken ?
                                  by jhjimbo
                                  As far as I know, the rigged part of the ballots was the Presidential ticket, down ballot I don't believe were tampered with....
                                  Today, 10:17 PM
                                • Reply to Hey Folks
                                  by jhjimbo
                                  Looks like RRA is making a bid in the long range rifles - Shooting Mag, this month. Guess what caliber it is in ?...
                                  Today, 10:26 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X