Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what would be better for coyote and fox, a 17 hmr or 22 mag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what would be better for coyote and fox, a 17 hmr or 22 mag?

what would be better for coyote and fox, a 17 hmr or 22 mag?

22 mag is a harder hitting round but the 17HMR will get the job done too. Both are capable for taking yotes but the 17 has a rang of about 150 yard while the 22 can do it out to 300 with some of the heaver rounds. On foxes both are great and will dump foxes out to 250-300 yards with ease.

Comment

At short range, between the two cartridges, I'd lean toward the .22 Magnum, using Remington or CCI ammunition with polymer-tipped bullets. That said, I'd encourage you to use a .222 Rem, a .223 or a .22-250, because some coyotes will take a hit and cling to life tenaciously if you miss the heart-lung vital area. If you're going to use a rimfire cartridge (any cartridge, for that matter), operate well within your capability for accurate bullet placement.

Comment

If I had to choose, a .22Hornet or 223R for mid-range yotes to 200Yd...STOP making a 100yd caliber shoot 300yd yes they will reach 300yd with almost no killing power at all.

Comment

My vote goes to the .22 Magnum with a limited range of about 100 yards. The .22 Hornet should be confined to targets within 150-175 yards.
          We owe it to the varmints to make a clean humane kill.

Comment

i dont know if you have both guns and you are just deciding what is better for you, or you are planning on buying one or the other. but i was thinking about getting a 17hmr, but i ended up going with a 223. its better than both on yotes. the 17 is a neat gun, but i live in ny and it was overkill for squirrel but a little light for coyotes. aside from that i paid 70 more for the 223 which at virtually the same price made me go with it. anyway god luck with whatever you choose.

Comment

Wait a few months for the Winchester .17SuperMag and Savage rifle. It is suppose to trump the .22mag and the .17hmr according to the tables.

Comment

I have to use rimfires in some of the places I hunt because of local laws and sometimes noise factors.I have had some foxes run after being hit with 17hmrs,I feel it is a little on the light side.The 22mag is a little better and centerfires 17 20 and 22's are much better.

Comment

Another vote for the .22 mag. My friend had a .17 hmr and when i shot it, it just didn't feel like it had the power. I have never fired a .22 mag, but i'm sure its much better. If i were getting a new gun for yotes and fox, i would get someting in the .2's. .222, .204, .223, or .22-250.

Comment

The .22 mag. The 17, I'm sure, has it's attributes, I personally don't think coyote is one of it's strong points! As previously mentioned, the .22 Hornet is a superb 100 to 150 yard 'yote gun. No (low) recoil, low noise.

Comment

22 MAG, because of the harder stopping power and, being heavier, will go through the wind better. the 17 hmr will work for fox inside of 100 yards, but for both coyotes and fox, go with the .22 mag.

Comment

22. mag its simple might want to get a henry it's a nice hansome lever gun and is like the little brother of the 'BIG BOY'.

Comment

I don't consider either to be a good coyote cartridge. They will certainly work for calling coyotes since they tend to be within 30 yards. They will of course kill a coyote if it is standing still inside of 75 yards and you get a good brain shot. Coyotes are tough and most of my coyote shooting has been at distances from 100 to 400 yards.

When calling, I prefer to have enough fire power to take multiple running coyotes as necessary. I consider them both to be cripplers with body shots. A chest shot from either will roll them but could still allow a coyote to put on a few miles before it stops. A .223 is about my minimum but I hunt on the prairie where shots are seldom close and coyotes are often running flat out.

Comment

The 22MAG, have more rounds and better range to shoot at.

Comment

I would go with the .22 mag

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad