Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm going feral hog hunting in southern Ohio here in the next few weeks. Its going to be an all weekend camp/hunt trip. I have r

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rjeffrey
    replied
    Originally posted by country road View Post
    I'd use the 12 ga., but don't discount the .22-250 for a shot just under the ear and if there's a chance for long range shots, that might be a good option. I've killed a couple of big hogs with a .22 lr with that shot (it was the only gun I had in the Jeep). You don't want to be just knocking dust off an animal that has tusks and is willing to use them.
    How does anyone feel about using a 12 gauge with a 3" 4 shot magnum for hunting hogs? I have used these shells for years and have taken turkeys and coyotes at 60 yards with them using one shot each. I have shot into a 3/4 inch sheet of plywood at 20 feet. It blew a 4" hole in that plywood. I have been hunting for hogs on the Mead properties in Southern Hocking County and Northern Vinton counties but have not run across any yet. I have always felt this shell will at 20 feet will bring down just about anything. Man a 4" hole might slow these hogs a bit. Do you folks believe their skulls are stronger than that sheet of plywood? Am I barking up the wrong tree in my thoughts and my confidence in my shells? I also have 3" 2 shot magnums. These are some butt kicking shells. Help me out here guys. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• youngfisherman
    replied
    Forgot to mention never try to shoot them between the eyes they have a very thick scull plate it can deflect smaller calibers

Leave a comment:

• Safado
    replied
    This is why I love this blog. Drewbeman asked a great question and got a lot of great information from guys that know what they're taliking about. Great job!

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied
    I agree with those recommending the slug gun. Wild pigs are much tougher than deer. A few years ago I had to put two 12 gauge slugs in one to put it down. I've also had to shoot one twice with a .45-70.

Leave a comment:

• drewbeman
    replied
    Yeah i think im taking my pump gun with us to just in case. That will give us two pump guns and a rifle if we get a distance shot.Those hornady sst slugs at 2,000 feet per second should do the trick out of the ole Remington!

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    Drew, I grew up on a farm and fed big hogs my whole life. I wasn't too concerned about my first feral hog hunt. Shooting another pig just didn't seem too exciting to me. During that first hunt, I quickly realized that these are VERY wild hogs and they bare a much stronger resemblance to a rhinocerous than they do a farm hog.

They have learned to survive in the wild by being tough and by being mean. The boars are very territorial and will attack you when you enter their territory. You may not see them before they charge. I have carried my pistol at the ready and wasn't able to pull it up for a shot before they made it to me; they were that fast.

I'm frankly surprised that we don'g hear more about people being killed by them. I suspect it is because most of us manly men don't want others to know how stupid we were to hunt feral hogs with a pop gun. I'd simply suggest that you plan to be overgunned until you get a little experience and can make up your own mind.

youngfisherman, my appologies... .22 WMR it is... please keep those organ donor cards up to date. Little pigs abound but they have a granddaddy running around somewhere out there and you might meet him up close and personal one day.

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    Feral hogs are known as the poor man's grizzly bear, and just about as safe to hunt if you are sure you won't run across a big one.
    Count on it. That's what guardian angels are for.
    Living life on the edge can be very exciting.

Leave a comment:

• drewbeman
    replied
    I dont think the hogs around here are that intense. I have heard of a few 300 pounders and a few at 400lbs but the majority are under 150lbs i think. Im kinda scared to think about the pigs you guys are after!lol Are you all hunting pure russian boar?

Leave a comment:

• mike0714
    replied
    idiot and no ut sorry about the spelling errors

Leave a comment:

• mike0714
    replied
    Sure you can do it with a .22 250 or even a .22 WMR but I just want to say the last feral that turned on me took two 350 grain rounds from my 45-70 and slid to a stop 5 feet from me and the idot who ut shot it with a bow. The first shot went through the left front of the shoulder and through the left lung the second round went through the bottom of the skull and into the chest cavity. Note my 45-70 round work up produces just over 3000 foot lbs of energy. Given my hunting group got roped into taking a friends new boy toy and my job was to quickly put down any hogs he shot bad. when he went 2/3on gut shots with a bow then we took his weapon away from him. (we shot for 25 yards on our knees. when he shot the hog spun a few times trying for the arrow then charged us) Take both and use the shotgun for the majority of your hunting and keep the 22-250 for yotes and piglets.

Leave a comment:

• Brock Holloway
    replied
    22-250 should work just fine, i shot a 175 pound hog a couple years ago with a 243 and droped it. But i did nick the heart.

Leave a comment:

• youngfisherman
    replied
    DakodaMan I am using a 22WMR not a 22LR.

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    Drewbreman, will your quarry range in size to over 300 pounds? Will the the boars have razor sharp tusks over three inches in length? Will they be descendants of feral hogs from the south east? Will they be expected to make unprovoked attacks? Will you be hunting in thick brush? Will you be hunting on foot? Do you understand what a two inch deep cut on your leg feels like?

If the answer to any of these questions is "yes", please consider bringing enough gun. If youngfisherman is doing this with a .22LR, I wish him well and hope his organ donor card is up to date.

Leave a comment:

• Pmacc60
    replied
    Most of the answers come from guys and thier experience, they are doing thier best not to preach.You have been given some very good advice,Treestand put an explanation point on it with his last post.Good luck

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    You were WARNED The life you save may be YOURS!!

Its better to be OVER GUNNED Then NOT!!

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad